TAX hit for NON US citizens earning via create program?

Questions, Tips and Concerns about Creating on IMVU in general.
mspixelicious
Posting Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage_ ... r=13116584

Re: TAX hit for NON US citizens earning via create program?

Post by mspixelicious » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am

not sure what to say now.....but certain words spring to mind like, YOU, by, GOT, balls, THE
...but just to recap hun, if you have TWO accounts and you can get both to earn, the masa cap applies to each ACCOUNT, not your tax linked earnings??..yush??

Polystyrene
Pixel Princess

Post by Polystyrene » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Oh sorry, I forgot to reply to that. I *think* MASA covers all your accounts. So you don't have a separate MASA for each account. But I can't really remember things anymore.

I don't have the energy to go searching right now but if you do here you go.....
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/modules.php ... p&t=554002

Each thread has links to staff posts at the beginning. There'll be something about it somewhere in one of them.

mspixelicious
Posting Pixel

Post by mspixelicious » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:35 am

awww soweee hun....cant help but ask and ask and ask...theres so LITTLE info from imvu itself..its downright criminal!
..yah cant operate a pay and create system and NOT offer assistance!
...a single, simple link to a BAFFLING tax website is not HELP in my books!
..but couldnt have gotten so far without yah help hunbun...MUCH appreciated!

..i will shuttup now...^v~

Mythrelle
New Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Mythrelle

Post by Mythrelle » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:16 am

Hi, sorry I have come to this discussion a little late, but I am in the UK & have been earning cash since it has been possible, on two accounts. I supplied them with my national Insurance number & address to get verified, and receive all the cash I have claimed - usually about three days after claiming. I have not yet been hit with a MASA, so don't know if it covers the two accounts or each one separately. IMVU send me a Form 1042-S at the end of each tax year by post, detailing all earnings over the past year & I then use this when filling in my end of year tax form. At that time the Inland Revenue will be able to calculate if I owe them any tax on this income.

Hope this helps & happy to answer any other questions regarding my experience.

mspixelicious
Posting Pixel

Post by mspixelicious » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 pm

hey hun, good to hear another person's perspective on things....i've had my account for a good few years now but the second these changes kicked in i vowed id NEVER supply THAT AMOUNT of detailed, personal data aross the pond!
...but things have changed and cash is tight and i DID get to the point where i thought about supplying my national Insurance number to get verified, but i figured the only thing that would cut the mustard once and for all (going on the comments required to verify id) was a renewed passport! (£103 worth)...so in the end my accounts verified!...thats no longer an issue!
now the cash supply within imvu has been brewing (changes took place about april 2015, and its only NOW i've applied to EARN...so thats many months worth of HARD CASH waiting to be earned) but...a couple of points:

1) i DONT have an accountant (and i wont have for the foreseeable future) so every NUGGET of info i've had to snatch from OTHER imvu users/clients/creators ..because imvu not only doesnt supply ANY detailed info, they are often misleading in their approach (to say the LEAST)
...this then leads to forms being sent in that DONT have the correct details, but rather than saying so/pointing out/highlighting issues, imvu simply WORK WITH THAT and give you the LESS amount your entitled to!

2) im a derive artist!..i dont mesh..i dont own the lion's share when it comes to products so the earnings NEVER were that good to start with, but with the low income AND the masa cap it really stifles..well..everything!

3) my other account NEVER was used to create, BUT its old enough to verify without VIP to create AND earn and i cant help but think if they take their cue from 'typical monthly earnings', my SECOND account would be so small (to begin with) that any earnings would be small-fry to start with!...but, in combination with my main account and most importantly, taken as its OWN 'earning account', it would earn collectively a little bit more than just the ONE account!
...as the masa cap applies to ONLY the ACCOUNT surely??...not the combined earnings of the person BEHIND the accounts?!
surely!?

Mythrelle
New Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Mythrelle

Post by Mythrelle » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Well I didn't have to invest in a new passport, although they did telephone here to check the number. To be honest, I'm not sure they knew what they were doing either as it was all very new at that time, but they verified me & have been sending cash ever since, so I'm happy! I don't use an accountant either, but if you have a supplementary income over and above your day job which is PAYE taxed, you are supposed to send in a tax return every year to show this. I have to do one anyway because I have a rental property, so it's no trouble to add the IMVU income on. The form is very straightforward & I do it online. Depending on your other income you may not even have to pay tax on it, but I would advise letting them know anyway because they are starting to look at supplementary income from things like eBay etc. and you don't want to get caught out.

With reference to your alt account, you will only be able to use it as a creating account if you registered it as one before they started allowing only VIP accounts to create. If it was registered before that time it will be "grandfathered" in, but if not you won't be able to create from it unless it has VIP. As I said, I haven't encountered any cap yet as I am making about the same every month as I was this time last year & the year before. I'm also a texture artist & mainly make custom jewellery, although I am currently trying to get my head around meshing on Blender......

Extinction
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Extinction

Post by Extinction » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I am no expert on this, but I will state what I have learned and (hopefully accurate) know.

When I signed up for cash, my MASA cap was the minimum needed: 50$.
Reason why it was this low was because of my sales throughout the whole year.
So I can say your alt account will probably have a MASA cap of 50$ to start, and as sales increase, so will the cap.

I know IMVU did say the max cap was 10,000$ a month... although VERY FEW people reach that, if any.

On your main account, Ms, I would look at your sales for a month, and estimate what it wouldbe in USD (2,500 cr per 1$), and that should maybe give some insight on your masa cap.
For instance, mine is around 125$ USD a month, which means I'm earning around 312,000 credits a month.
(I don't mind sharing, tbh. It's not a lot in the long run but it helps to see the info upfront).

I also don't think masa caps are by tax info, but by account. I don't know for sure, bu that is my best educated guess.
EXTINCTION @ IMVU
~ Making Anthro Designs & Creations since 2007 ~

Product Requests: OPEN
I have difficulties with communicating my ideas and thoughts properly.
Please be patient with me.

Polystyrene
Pixel Princess

Post by Polystyrene » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 pm

mspixelicious wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:35 am
awww soweee hun....cant help but ask and ask and ask...theres so LITTLE info from imvu itself..its downright criminal!
..yah cant operate a pay and create system and NOT offer assistance!
...a single, simple link to a BAFFLING tax website is not HELP in my books!
..but couldnt have gotten so far without yah help hunbun...MUCH appreciated!

..i will shuttup now...^v~
Haha it's ok! I'm just trying to help as best as I can with my stupid old person brain.

One thing I forgot to say - you can file a help ticket to find out what your MASA is. Have you tried out the amazing new help centre yet? https://help.imvu.com and click on 'Get Support'

mspixelicious
Posting Pixel

Post by mspixelicious » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:01 pm

hugs to all for the info but one thing strikes me more than anything, that after ALL this time since the changes began, theres STILL a shedload of doubt and uncertainty about many things with this 'earn cash system'! (that CANNOT be RIGHT!..both for the customer AND imvu!..each loses OUT when the correct info is either difficult to find or simply isnt there!)
but to cover comments so far...
YUSH, for me this is a paying concern and tax details WILL be required...still working on the tax software to help with that..am NOT looking forward to THAT tax form!
Starting so LATE i effectively had a sizeable chunk of cash sitting there waiting to be NABBED!...BUTTTTTTT, the buggahs put paid to THAT idea PRONTO!...but im settling into the OTHER notion that i NOW have a 'trickle feed supply of cash' that should last ALOT LONGER (i WOULD have spent it all on stoopid things if there was a LUMP sum..i have to admit...sighhhhhhhhhhh.....so much to buy so much to have)
ive a fairly good idea of my typical monthly sales (ughh..not that good)..but i WILL ask them to give me a much CLEARER idea of what i can expect
...and YUSH poly..i HAVE had experience of the BRAND SPANKING NEW help centre at imvu!...no offence TO this place but THAT IS the REASON WHY i created an account here!...the words IMVU and HELP do not sit easy with one another!...not these days

but still IN THERE and kicking though!...just
hugsssssssssss and watch this space

Seige
Posting Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Post by Seige » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:43 pm

And this is why I have decided NOT to even attempt at cashing out my creds... too much confusion not enough help and a whole bunch of personal data being tossed back and forth... I don't know how you managed to Not simply just say forget it! (politely said)

Polystyrene
Pixel Princess

Post by Polystyrene » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:00 pm

We have to give tax info to our employers anyway....so that didn't bother me. As for all the rest, this is my income so I didn't really have a choice lol.

mspixelicious
Posting Pixel

Post by mspixelicious » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 am

for many a month i did just that Seige...but when you get to a point where cash starts to be a problem and you THEN take a look at the cash available via your imvu account, twas a simple case of GIMME whuts MINE!
but i'm hoping this little section might shine more light to OTHERS who are in the dark with this stuff, it certainly helped ME in ways that other sites didnt!
..it'd be BRILLIANT to share on imvu itself, but i know 'they dont like it up 'em' (to quote a famous Dad's Army comment)

mspixelicious
Posting Pixel

Post by mspixelicious » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm

ooohhhKAyyy..im back in the DOO DOO again....theyve replied telling me my masa cap is 500..DESPITE the fact they paid me $600 my first request and $150 the second! (in the SAME month!)
....750 would have been a WORKABLE sum but 500!>???
..im back in the crapper again..is there ANY argument against this masa crap??

Polystyrene
Pixel Princess

Post by Polystyrene » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm

I think they are a lot more flexible with MASA caps than they used to be. They will generally let you go a little over, maybe as you hadn't made a request before they gave you more leeway.

I always found their MASA was generally a bit lower than what I calculated myself. I contacted Varsha about it but she told me I was stupid and wrong. I used to ask for my MASA each month but I don't bother anymore. So far I have never been capped.