PVC Tutorial Using Paint Shop Pro by TrizariaDaggerHunter

Help and Tips on Re-Texturing existing base products on IMVU
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

PVC Tutorial Using Paint Shop Pro by TrizariaDaggerHunter

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:09 pm

This tutorial was created by TrizariaDaggerHunter but I have written permission to post this here on their behalf.

New postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 pm Post subject: PVC Tutorial Using Paint Sho Pro Reply with quote
I recently made and uploaded a collection of textures to my DevianArt for use here on IMVU for fellow devs. It prompted questions "How do you create your textures? Can you tell me?"

Trying to explain how I go about it is just to difficult for some people to grasp so instead here is a step by step tutorial on how I create my PVC textures. While other PVC tutorials focus on clothing textures this tutorial focuses more on textures that can be used for walls, floors, ceilings, and furniture items.

I use Paint Shop Pro 8 but any graphics program that has a brush and gaussian blur feature can be used and you should be able to easily adapt this tutorial to fit your program. (Yes it's an old version and I've had it and used it for about 10 years .. old habits die hard -chuckles-)

This tutorial is written in very simple terms in a step by step format more for those who still haven't yet used the program regardless of version. I realize with newer versions your workspace and tools menus even in other programs may look different. If the images are a little blurry just click the image to load the full size image in a new browser window

For those with PSP you can download the brushes I created to make these textures from my DevianArt Gallery HERE there are 8 brushes in total including the line brush used for the image in this tutorial.

The circle brushes used were just standard brushes included in the programs brush palette. To install just unzip the brush files to your brushes folder within the PSP program folders. They can be located in two specific areas on your computer. For this tutorial the best place for easy install is to go to the main program folders usually located - Local Disk C:/Program Files/. Since the original creators of PSP, Jasc Software were bought out by Corel after this version release you'll have to check what path is used. For my version of PSP the path is

Local Disk C:/Program Files/ Jasc Software Inc/ Paint Shop Pro 8/Brushes

Getting Started

Open PSP - for those of you new to it or have never seen it here is the program as it first opens.

Click to see image!

Open a new file and choose measurement in pixels and set measurements

Image Dimensions:

width -200
height -200
Units - Pixels

Image Characteristics set to Raster Background

Color Depth - 16 Million Colors (24 bit)
Make sure you have a check in the box Transparent

Click to see image!

Click Ok to continue. You now have a new document open

From the very top program menu select View and make sure you select to view rulers. These will be very helpful when trying to place each of the elements you are going to be adding for centering and even placement of additional elements as the tutorial progresses through the steps.

Click to see image!

Select the Flood Fill tool from the left tools menu(the Bucket)
From the materials menu on the right select the top foreground color buy clicking in the square and choose Black from the color palette that opens up and click Ok then click anywhere in your document to fill it with the color.

Click to see image

Now we have our background to work with and it's time to start adding the elements. Starting with a center circle or orb if you will. From the left tools menu select the paint brush tool.

Click to see image!

From the presets menu above the window click the window for the displayed brush to open the brush selection window and select the largest circle brush.

Now adjust your settings on the brush to these:

Size 100, Hardness 100, Step 10, Density 100, Thickness 100, Rotation 0, Opacity 75, & Blend Mode - Normal

Select the color you want to use. In this tutorial I chose a dark red from the selection palette rather then a custom color.

Click to see second image!

Now you want to place your brush over the rough center of the base and check that the cross hairs of the rulers are over the horizontal and vertical marks of 100 and click to place a circle at the center of your base background.

To get the look we want for this center circle we want to blur it. From the upper menu select Adjust / Blur/ Gaussian blur and set the blur to 15.00

Click Ok to continue. We now have our base image and now will add the line elements

Click to see image!

With my created brushes installed this will be much easier for the PSP users that can install and make use of them. Once again go to the presets menu just above the workspace and click in the brush to open brush selection. Scroll to locate brush WD-PVC-Line-04. click it to select it and click Ok to continue.

No need to adjust color we will continue with the deep red. Once again using the rulers along the edges to guide placement move your brush so the cross hairs are at the 100 mark on the top ruler and 10 on the left vertical ruler.

Because opacity is set lower it takes a few mouse clicks to achieve the look I have in these images. I clicked 8 times for each line I added. This may be a longer way around acheiving the result but it's just how I work. The one real nice feature about PSP is it's ability to make use of unlimited undo if you make a mistake or want to go back and redo. Repeat for the lower edge line.

Your image should now look similar to this

Now rather then adjust another brush just rotate the image 90 degrees to repeat the above step for the next 3 sides of your image. To do this go to the top menu and select Image - Rotate - Rotate clockwise 90 degrees.

Click to see image!

Now just repeat the above process to place two more lines to your image and it should resemble this

Now we'll add corner accent dots to the image. Go once more to your brush selection as before by clicking the brush image to open the brush selector and choose the small circle brush. This is a standard program brush.

Adjust your brush settings to these:

size 5, hardness 25, steps 1, density 100, thickness 100, rotation 0, opacity 75, blend mode normal

Place your dot in the corner of the image using the ruler guides of 10 on both the horizontal and vertical

for these corner dots I just clicked 3 times to set the color intensity.

Now just rotate your image as before to set the other 3 corner dots and you should now have an end image that looks similar to this

You can if you like leave the image as is and save it at this point and use it. Or you can continue and enhance it a little further with another blur effect.

From the program menu choose Adjust - blur - Gaussian Blur and set the blur setting to 1.00

The last and final steps are to add a light highlight to your lines around the edges.

Once more select the previous line brush by clicking the brush image to open brush selection and select the line brush WD-PVC-Line-04 and click Ok to continue.

Adjust the brush settings to these:

size 100, hardness 100, steps 5, density 100, thickness 100, rotation 0, opacity 100, blend mode normal

Select your highlight color from the materials menu on the right as you did with the red this time selecting white as your color.

Click to see image!

Again using the rulers place the horizontal top at 100 and the vertical left at 10 to center this over the top line of your image and click twice to apply the highlight to the line. Do the same for the bottom line and the rotate the image and repeat so the highlight is applied to all four lines.

TA DAAAA your image is complete and it should resemble this

Click to see image!

Now just save your image and you're done. Because of the files size limit in Create Mode it is best to save your images as JPG files for smaller files sizes. On some images however to preserve clarity you can use PNG format but remember this format has a larger file size and with additional PNG format images used will soon eat up the total file size of your product and you may receive an error message from the Creator that your product is larger then the limit permitted.

The possibilities of what can be accomplished are limited only by your imagination and possible available brushes.

I hope this tutorial is helpful to those who wish to create their own textures. For those using Gimp or Photoshop this tutorial should be able to be used provided you have access to a line brush similar to the one in the brush image above or a line brush to achieve the desired look. I do know both programs have the Gaussian blur feature and use the same settings for the blur effect.

For those who have questions please feel free to pop into any of my rooms and ask and I'll be happy to help with what I can. I am not one much for frequenting the forums and when I do it's at odd hours so it may take a while to get a response here on the forums my rooms are best to reach me or just comment or send a message on DevianArt.

Note -Added April 23/2012

For those with Gimp, Photoshop or other graphics programs able to open PNG files and with a brush export feature along with the other features needed to get the same results I have I have uploaded a file of 13 PNG images to my DevianArt page so you all can make your own brushes to try this tutorial.[/b]

Saving Custom Brushes Using Gimp

I found these instructions for those who would like to make use of my brushes and follow this tutorial using Gimp. Download my PNG images from my DeviantArt page and then.

1. Open a PNG file.
2. Go to Select > All, then copy (Ctrl-C).
3. Go to Edit > Paste as > New Brush.
4. Enter a brush name and file name, then press OK.
5. The new brush will be immediately available for use with the paint brush tool.