Texture Tutorials with LuvableVenus

Help and Tips on Re-Texturing existing base products on IMVU
LuvableVenus
Posting Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/LuvableVenus

Texture Tutorials with LuvableVenus

Post by LuvableVenus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:55 pm

I had started with Gimp when I first started out deving. Then I moved to on to using photoshop. In reality, these are both great programs! Gimp being an open source prog vs photoshop being paid. Regardless of whether their paid or free, these are both great programs. Very similar in lots of ways, though very different at the same time. Did you get that?? lol Well anyways which ever one you choose to use is completely up to you.

This tutorial is primarily for PhotoShop, though you should use Gimp, you can more then likely work out what is what and go from there. If you need help with anything I am more then willing to help. I will post more on texture making in here, though when time permits. Please understand that when I am in client I am more then likely creating. If you see me in one of my Developing and Meshing rooms, feel free to drop by and ask me there as well. have a fun time making your product textures and remember.....layers are your best friend & don't be afraid to sit and play around with all your tools.

Developing with luv,

Venus

LuvableVenus
Posting Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/LuvableVenus

Basic Hair Texture Tutorials with LuvableVenus

Post by LuvableVenus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi Everyone! :)

I decided to strip it back to something simple. I will admit, my blonde hairs aren't that great and am continually working on them to make them more realistic. However, I can rock out some awesome Hairs. Below is a very basic step for you to make your hair textures with. Later, I will expand it out to more complex tutorials. I always work with 256x256 sized textures. the technique I use for the hair texture can be different from time to time depending on the actual hair mesh. Remember always to work with layers, so when you open your Photoshop be sure to lay down a few layers to start with. I always start with 5 blank layers. This will be a step-bystep instruction, for someone who has never made hair textures before.

Process of making the hair texture:

1. Open your Photoshop then select File, then New from the drop down tab.

2. You will see the following window appear:

Be sure to name your texture, whether it be by colour, number or however you like. Keep your background contents set to transparent. As you see it set out as I have in the above image.

3. Click ok. This will open up the new work space to the requirement that you have entered into the fields in the previous window.

NOTE: I have shown the area where you will find your layers tab in the layers window. If you don't have your working area set up like mine. Go to window tab in Photoshop and select "Layers" in the drop down menu.

4. Open multiple layers BEFORE you start. Get your self into this habit. You will find it so much easier editing your texture by using multiple layers. I learnt this one the hard way.

5. Now that you have your multiple layers open. Click on the first layer, using the "eye dropper" tool (btw, some call this their colour picker tool) on the left, choose your required colour with the "eye dropper" tool from the "colour swatches" window (if you don't have it open like in my photo, go to window then select "Swatches" from the drop down menu. I am going to use a dark brown as my "base" colour. Once you have selected your required colour with the "eye dropper" tool. Next you will select the "Paint Bucket" tool. We are going to "fill" this first layer with a the solid colour you have chosen, so simply hover your "paint bucket" icon over the layer and left click your mouse button. You will then see the solid colour fill the entire layer.

NOTE: If you do NOT have the "Tools" window open. Go to window and then down to near the bottom of the drop down menu you will find "Tools" be sure to click on "Tools" and this will open the "Tools" window.

6. Hair textures normally work with highlights, low lights and midtones. You can achieve these effects, quite easily. To get a natural real hair look.
Click on layer 2, with this layer we are going to create our hair strands. Take your "eye dropper" tool select a light hue of your "base colour". Then choose your "paint bucket" tool. Once you have done this, check to make sure it is your "foreground" colour that you are using. (Refer to the image above, if you are not sure what your foreground/background icon is). Hover your "paint bucket" icon over the layer and left mouse click to release the lighter hue of your chosen colour.

Next we are going to go "filter" tab its at the top of your Photoshop screen. You are going to add some "noise" to your second layer. Here is where it starts to get a bit tricky. So stay calm, take a deep breath if you find it a bit frustrating. By adding "noise" you are going to create your "hair strands".

7. In the "Add noise" is where the magic happens. :) You will need to do/enter the following into the "Add noise" to create your hair strands.

Firstly make sure you have the "preview" and "monochromatic" check boxes checked. This way you can see of "preview" of it in your working area and you need to have your hair strands set to "monochromatic", unless you are wanting mutli-coloured hair strands over your base colour, then you will un-check it. Next you will need to add a "percentage" of "noise" to your layer. Check to make sure you have "Layer 2" seleted, BEFORE you commence with adding "noise". I use 10%. You can play around with your percentage, this is depending on how little or how much you prefer the size of your strands to be and also what depth you want your hair strands to be. Lastly we want the distribution of our "noise" to be "Gaussian", this will scatter the "noise". Then click "ok".

8. Now you are going to add "motion blur". This is to create the width, depth and length of your hair strands. Click on "filter" then click on "blur". From the drop down menu left click on "motion blur".

9. In "motion blur" you will need to set your angle at 90o, this will make the strands run vertically. And you will need to set your distance at 50 pixels to create the look of hair strands.

10. Next you will need to give your hair some depth with use of low tones. Take your "eye dropper" tool and select the darkest hue of your chosen colour possible, preferably don't use black unless you are creating a black hair texture, or wanting a two tone effect for your hair texture. (I will cover two-tone hair textures in an advanced tutorial). Next select your "paint brush" tool, select a round solid brush from your "Brush presets". If you don't have "Brush presets" open. Open it by clicking on "window" and then click on "Brush presets" from the drop-down menu. Choose "layer 3" from your "layers". Next with your "paint brush" tool create a solid line horizontally across the bottom of "layer 3". You will now create a "graduated blur". You will create this effect by using the "Gaussian blur", which you will find in the "filter" tab, then click blur, then "Gaussian blur".

In the "Gaussian blur" window set your "radius" to 20 pixels. Then click ok.

11. Next you want to take your "Rectangle marquee" tool. Then position the "Rectangle marquee" tool at the very top left hand corner of your "layer 3". Then left click and hold as you drag it down and over the bottom right corner. This will select the whole layer. You will then "copy" this layer by pressing on ctrl and c keys simultaneously on your keyboard, release and then select "layer 4". Next you will press on ctrl and v keys simultaneously. This will then paste the copy of "layer 3" into "layer 4". You will notice that it has pasted this copy, slightly above the last layer giving you two blurred lines. Don't panic you are going to be changing this. You will then click on the edit tab. Then click on "transform", then click on "flip vertically". You will notice that it has placed and re-position the copy to near the top of the layer. Select your "Move" tool, click on the copy and move into position to the very top edge of the layer.

12. Now you will add highlights to your hair strand texture. Click on layer 5 then choose the lighest hue of your chosen colour using the "eye dropper/colour picker" tool. Select your "paint brush" tool, you must then change the size of your brush in your "brush presets" to 20. You will then create 3 horizontal lines evenly spaced as possible in "layer 5", starting your first line in the centre of the layer, going from one side to the other. Then you will repeat Steps 6 through to 10. Once you have done this, then in your "layers" go to the "fill %" box and type in 20 for the distance of the pixels. Repeat this once more.

Be sure to save your work after each step and always work with layers. When you save as in Photoshop always and I repeat always save a .psd file and also a .jpg file. This way if you choose to re-use the file, you can just alter the layers, add-in or take-out layers.

Congratulations! You now have created your very first "Hair Texture". Now time for you to go to the IMVU catalogue and find a hair mesh to add your hair texture to.

Have FUN!

V :)