Rescaling images for products - dos and donts

Help and Tips on Re-Texturing existing base products on IMVU
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini

Rescaling images for products - dos and donts

Post by Elaini » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:32 pm

There's just a few tips that I can give, having learned them in Photoshop.

First of all, it's good to remember the basics. IMVU textures always rely on resolution that is based on the number series of the math formula 2^(x-1):

At the start 1, 2, 4, 8, 16... and the upper limit is 512.

Any image that does not use those numbers exactly will be rescaled for your product, and IMVU client does not do it in a pretty way. Also notice that the highest resolution that a single image can have is 512 × 256 or 256 × 512, not 512 × 512. If you wish to bypass the limit, you need to use several images as puzzle pieces in a special HD mesh.

And as for the Photoshop...

When you rescale an image in Photoshop, there are several choices in a drop down menu under "Resample Image":

As you can see, Photoshop already suggests what to use in either case, and Bicubic Automatic is the default option. However, I never really enlarge images for the products, I always prefer higher resolution images which I then scale down.

I actually do two versions of reduction: Bicubic Automatic and Bilinear. Bicubic reduction can leave very sharp edges when looked up close. That's why I also make the Bilinear reduction as it's smoother, and paste it over the Bicubic one as a layer, which transparency I will then modify until I'm satisfied with the result of blending.

Then I just "Save for Web..."

This was a shortish tutorial for starters, but you can continue with your own tips.