To new creators: How and where to ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCTS!

Help and Tips on How and Where to Advertise Your Products, Product Page and Homepage Coding to Showcase Your Wears.
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

To new creators: How and where to ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCTS!

Post by ChocolateCookie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm

As my tutorial on icons was a big success, I decided to make another tutorial. This one is be about where and how to advertise to get more customers. IMVU catalog is HUGE so advertising is vital for being seen by the customers and I see many new developers struggling and not knowing how to so here I'll go through the most common ways to advertise your products. It might give you some ideas of your own as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product icons: It is important to have nice product icons that are recognizable by your customers. That's because when a previous customer sees one of your icons in the shop that they can easily recognize to be yours, they will know that it will be good quality product and want to try it on knowing that it is worth it.

DO NOT steal other creators icon design or have icons that look just like everyone elses, more tips on how to make nice icons here.

Product pages: Many customers still shop on the web and it is vital to have product pages for your products if you want those customers to try them on and buy them. Those are also the customers that are more likely to stay loyal to your products because not many developers make product pages and it can be quite frustrating for customers to go through many, many products that have no product pages. It is easier to stick with the developers who they like and who will be sure to have product pages. Lots of developers are too lazy to make these but if you are looking for a profit here then that is something you should really do, it can give you lots of extra profit. Product pages do not have to be very big and complicated, a simple image or a simple design with an image is good enough, for example, this is one of my own product pages, it looks good and professional with a few extra details but is not actually complicated and takes only 2 minutes for me to make. There are many many more great examples of product pages in the shop if you'd like to see more.

DO NOT have pending product pages because just like pending icons, it won't want users try your product on. A product page does not have a lot of worth without an image of the product that it is for. In addition to that, since we're all human, we can easily just end up being too lazy to finish them or forgetting about doing them. Once again, do not steal other peoples designs. Like all theft, it is against the rules. Try having something unique.

DO NOT put music on product pages, customers often do not like it and do not want to visit product pages that have music, especially when they want to listen to something else at the same time and not everyone has the same taste in music. Personally, there is nothing I hate more when shopping than autoplay music on product pages.

TIP: if you want a nice product page design but do not know how to make one or already have one but do not know how to code it, there are many people willing to help you with it for a fee. It can be expensive at times but it means more profit for you in the long run so it is definitely worth the price. Just remember that it is your job to request a product page that will be easy to make and that will display your products well, graphics artists will create anything you ask them to, it is your job to make sure that what you want will work well for you.

TIP: It is also a good idea to have your product page ready before you submit it into peer review. Why? Because in peer review, everyone doing it (which is about 20 people) will have to see your product page. And if it looks nice and your product looks great on it, people might like it enough and wishlist it so that they can buy it after the product has passed peer review. And this does happen quite often, even I have bought a product because like that.

Banners: Having your own banner to the shop is a great way to advertise your products. You can put it up in the signature in various IMVU related forums, but make sure that you follow the rules of the specific forum, this is why it is good to not make your banners not too big so that you do not have to worry about going over size limits of different forums. You can also put your banner on your homepage, product pages and in threads in groups that are meant for advertising your products. The better your banners look, the more people will want to click on them or host them on their own page as well.

DO try using your own products in the banner so that people can see what your catalog has to offer, it is after all, your catalog that you are advertising and not someone else's.

TIP: You can try to to get others to host your banner on their homepage as well, for example, I offer a free gift to anyone who will show my banner on their homepage so that more people will see it and I do not think that one gift is a big price to pay for it. You can also have multiple banners for people to choose from to put on their homepage depending on what fits them better.

DO NOT spam your banners on forums, groups or anywhere that is not meant for your banners. Your posts will just be deleted and it will make you look bad. It can even get you kicked out for it from groups and forums. Only advertise your products where it is allowed and don't spam.

TIP: If you do not know how to make a nice banner of your own, you can always ask an IMVU artist to do it for you. Just make sure to be clear about what you want and have them make something that advertises you well and fits your style. Very often, artists offer an icon design together with a banner design so that they match.

Forum and groups posts:
1st way: Be active on Discussions, IMVU related forums and groups to be seen more, be helpful and nice to people to make people like you and know your name and the more people that see you, the more of them will check your products out.

DO NOT post spam, cause drama or just be plain rude because that will just make most people dislike you and then they are obviously not interested in knowing you or seeing your products.

2nd way: There are many threads on the groups and IMVU related forums to advertise your newest products, in some places you are even allowed to make your own thread specifically for your products.

Shoutouts: Shoutouts are a way to send a message to the whole community either to advertise your products or to just give a friendly "Hello!" to everyone. Sending out a shoutout for a day costs 5000 credits which is quite costly BUT the great thing about them is that if you have too many developer tokens that you have no use for then you can also pay with developer tokens! A day costs 500 developer tokens so it is a great way to get rid of those excess dev tokens that you don't need. You can buy a shoutout here

Owning groups and custom product shops: Owning groups and custom shops where you get to advertise yourself can be a great way to find new customers. You can even earn extra money by offering custom products for people. If you make nice customs and are generally polite and nice to people then people are likely to come back to you and spread the word about your shop.

Offering free derives: This is a good way to advertise for meshers that are just starting out and have a hard time getting derives. It gets your name out there, derivations from your meshes that can make you a big profit and makes you seem more trustworthy to other developers since they can communicate with you more easily.

Homepages: Your homepage is basically a large free marketing space. That's the one place where you can show your products and your other skills skills. It's the one place where you can post your news, art and product displays. Also, you can hold different competitions and promotions there and give out banners and badges and it is a way for your customers to get to know you on a more personal level. Using a rude tone on your homepage can be a turn off for some people.

Using your own products: You should try to use your own products as much as possible on your own avatar, avatar picture, in your rooms, product pages, icons and anywhere you can. That way more people will see and have them. Besides, if you are creating products that fit your personal style, why wouldn't you want to use them yourself?

Messages/gifts/badges to loyal customers: If you have a customer that keeps coming back to your shop and buying your products, it would be kind to send them a thank you message or gift them one of your products that is on their wishlist and maybe even give them a badge exclusive for your loyal customers if you have one. That way they will feel appreciate it and will also be more likely to tell about you to other users.

DO make badges that look unique and "cool" that people will want to display on their avatar card, that way the more people will see it and click on it. it does not always have to be your logo but it is better to have something people would like. For example, I have a badge that is a large chocolate cookie, it might not represent my shop directly but I do know that lots of people like cookies. If you do not know how to make a nice badge of your own, there are badge artists on IMVU that are willing to do that for you for a price.

TIP: You do not need to send gifts and messages and badges to all of your customers, that is because not many people really want them and also because that if you have a lot of sales in a day, it will get hard to send the messages to every customer. Even though you can do this and some creators do, I would personally leave this for my loyal customers to make them feel special.

BE WARNED: If you choose to do this then you should know that not all people like to get those messages and gifts and badges so you need to be ready for some hate and rude messages in return. Do not take it personally, everyone will get them but just understand that they just do not like it and move on, it is something that will just happen. To minimize this, try to make your messages less spammy, if a user has already bought 10 of your products, there is no need to tell them to visit your shop again, they already know about you. Be polite and nice to them and just say thanks, saying nice things will definitely make anyone like you more.

Pulse and the feed: The more friends you have on your friends list, the more successful this will be. You can easily advertise your newest products on pulse of post pictures of them on your feed every once in awhile to show off all the cool looks that can be created with them.

DO NOT spam pulse and your feed, people will be annoyed, will flag them and could even unfriend you for it, it is not allowed to spam pulse anyways just like it is not allowed to spam anywhere else.

Advertising your products on external links: You can create your own personal web page outside of IMVU to advertise your products on like a Facebook page which seems to be the most popular option right now but you can also get advertising on various sites for a small fee at the IMVUSTYLES Advertise Plan. They will advertise your products on many sites for a very reasonable fee.

DO NOT post your product advertisement on sites that have no idea what IMVU even is, because that would just be a waste, or where it is not allowed, your ads will just get deleted and depending on the site, you can get banned for it. Choose wisely where you want to advertise and remember not to spam.

Having good quality products and a user name that people can remember: By having a memorable user name, I do not mean that you should have a very short one word name but rather just a name that people are capable of remembering. By that I mean that your name should not consist of a large amount of numbers like User394739553 because people will have hard time remembering that, also avoid using too much X-s like xXxXUserXxXx or other letters in a similar manner because that is hard for others to remember as well. It is also hard to remember names made out of completely random letters like rmkdpsnrefe3e, it is just hard to remember, it is easier to remember names that people can pronounce in their head. I am not saying this to insult your avatar names but because people need to be able to remember your name to know whose catalog to search for when they like your products. The need to have good products is obvious because if people do not like your products, they won't buy from you or want to see more from you no matter how much and well you advertise.

Making promotional bundles or products for IMVU and participating in different creator competitions: If you know how to mesh then this is a good option for you. You can make promotional IMVU bundles that they will either give to users for free or sell in the bundle vault. Not many people want to do it because many are not happy with what they get for it but it is great advertising because a huge number of people will see your name and receive your products. If they like what they see, people will go check out the rest of your products. You need to know though that not all people will have the same taste and there will also be people who will not like your products so do not take it personally, there is no thing that will be liked by everyone. The same goes to different challenges for creators. No matter if they are official challenged by IMVU or just something hosted by other IMVU users, it is still a great way to test your abilities, be seen and you might even get a prize for it! The good thing about creator competitions is that those do not always require being able to mesh, there are many texturing challenges out there.

Giftwrap submissions. These are fun and you can get your name out there and show off some of your lovely work and editing skills. IMVU often allows users to submit different giftwrap designs, often seasonal ones. Later, they will select some of those and use them. Each giftwrap has the name of the person who made it, written next to it and it might also help to get your name out there. You can submit multiple gift wrap designs over time to get displayed many times.

Creator Marketing in the Web Shop's first page. You can submit your products to be promoted in the first page of the web shop. This does cost you 1000 dev tokens or 8000 credits and you can only submit GA products. You can submit your products here.

Now, obviously you do not have to do all of these things but advertising does not hurt your sales if you do it right so if your goal is to make money here, you should try to advertise your products as much as possible.

@Older developers who already know all this: I do realize that there might be things that you will disagree with me on and that is normal and expected, I do not claim to be right about everything but I am just giving the basic guidelines to new developers who really want and try to learn more about advertising. If you would like something to be added here then just tell me and I will be glad to edit this post and add something to it.

gaf210
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/gaf210

Re: To new creators: How and where to ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCTS!

Post by gaf210 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

Happy to see this BIBLE about advertising! Thanks for re posting hun, and updating it as well :)