Newer "Still" Avatars

Questions, Tips and Concerns about Creating on IMVU in general.
Roy
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Roy

Newer "Still" Avatars

Post by Roy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 am

(first topic post here, I hope this is the right place :P)

A lot of the most popular avatars I see used are the "still" mostly single pose ones. These seem to mostly be made with a certain sticker (which I have myself) so that pretty much anyone can make one of these "pose" avis.

As such I noticed a lot seem to have bones in "weird" places or angles. I wonder if this effects how you create?

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Re: Newer "Still" Avatars

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 am

It effects how I BUY!
I don't like those avatars.
Bought some by mistake.

Suchie
Posting Pixel

Post by Suchie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

I may be wrong, but I think the weird angles are generally a result of users attempting to recreate real life poses by moving the bones in a manner they would expect them to work in real life. Other times, I think they just move things willy-nilly and do not pay attention to what it happening to the mesh. The mesh does not imitate real life in a lot of respects, so we have to learn how it moves with the bones and adjust for it. The mechanics of creating the pose are crucial to the final result.

Severity
New Pixel

Post by Severity » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:15 am

Honestly? I just use avatars that will look good for product pictures, any others I find cool or unique I wishlist and get randomly gifted.. It's pretty much the only thing I will buy now since it helps my deving.

In the past I bought tons of Sinderella,Visnova, and those avatars with multiple poses, reason no one buys them anymore? The still avatars are cheap as hell. I will say though.. the ones above were much higher quality because they were made in 3DS max.

DianaDeMysterieux
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/DianaDeMysterieux

Post by DianaDeMysterieux » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:30 am

I actually won't buy "Still" avatars because they only have one pose. I do prefer avatars that have lots of poses to choose from, especially if I am doing pictures.
La Dame Mystere

iDiva
New Pixel

Post by iDiva » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:08 pm

I prefer moving avatars, but I am fat. The moving avatars are not made for fatties. I hate ending up with my hands in my butt or hips. Scalers made it almost impossible to use them too.
The worse part about the still avatars is the moody face... Can't get over that. I buy the one with default faces.
No.
To everything and everyone.
Just No.

Roy
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Roy

Post by Roy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Ohh yeahh....I kind of hate ones with "locked" faces...especially squinty eye ones. (I dev a lot of eyes) I have aded some shines lower as a result of people using those.

I got a few for pictures...tho I feel silly because why buy a cheap one pose avi when you can get a well-made posepack? It is cheaper per pose and the dev gets more.

I do have a couple for males that completely warp the chest torso.

The only thing I do not like about most "living" avatars is that the gaze messes up when you sit beside a giant (Someone must be compensating :P ) or a tiny avi.

I did make a couple still avis as experiments a while back, most for a specific outfit that most moving avis clip, but I hardly use them outside of that.

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Post by MandaMarie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Yea the "still" or as I call them "static" avatars I have always hated. I almost always wear a Sinderella. It is possible however to animate a pose with breathing fairly easy using the pose stickers. I am not posting this to try and promote myself, but for an example. This was an avatar I made by using the pose sticker on CherryReds homepage. Never got into the face animations, but that too is possible.

http://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?pr ... d=31702575

Making sure to move all bones when moving the torso is pretty important. If you leave one single bone deselected it can have some very strange results. ;p
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Post by SqkyC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm

I like that they stand still for pictures, or when i am trying to see to paint something that's hard to see on a moving avatar. They also have lower kb as part of an outfit - though I do prefer the better moving avatars for going into a room. (not that I do that often)
It all depends on the pose I guess, if it is well done. I don't see anything wrong with still avatars it's just another option for people. I think a room full of them would look like a room full of mannequins though.

babyawesome
New Pixel

Post by babyawesome » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:43 am

I find a lot of the poses I have work on these still Avatars and if you pounce onto a posing spot or animated spot they also work.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 am

I actually really like using still avatars, because there are no surprises there. I always know what my avatar will look like. I like to wear longer dresses, so most moving avatars just don't work there because there is always going to be one pose that will make dresses look ugly or awkward or putting my hands or feet in weird looking positions.

I will always use a still avatar, because I do not want to keep testing out different multiple pose avatars every time I make a new outfit to look for an avatar that won't make me look weird at some point.

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Post by MandaMarie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 am
I actually really like using still avatars, because there are no surprises there. I always know what my avatar will look like. I like to wear longer dresses, so most moving avatars just don't work there because there is always going to be one pose that will make dresses look ugly or awkward or putting my hands or feet in weird looking positions.

I will always use a still avatar, because I do not want to keep testing out different multiple pose avatars every time I make a new outfit to look for an avatar that won't make me look weird at some point.
Yea I agree still avatars have a good use. The ones I use from Sinderella do move at times where my arms cross through my chest and all, I believe I have just gotten used to that. One though is the static poses in still avatars are just too static. As easy as it is to add in a very small breathing effect, wouldn't break the poses, but at the same time put just a little life into the avatar. Maybe I will work on that next. A couple still avi's, with breathing. :)
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

iDiva
New Pixel

Post by iDiva » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 pm

MandaMarie wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 pm
ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:51 am

Yea I agree still avatars have a good use. The ones I use from Sinderella do move at times where my arms cross through my chest and all, I believe I have just gotten used to that. One though is the static poses in still avatars are just too static. As easy as it is to add in a very small breathing effect, wouldn't break the poses, but at the same time put just a little life into the avatar. Maybe I will work on that next. A couple still avi's, with breathing. :)
Cherryred has a few still breathing avatars, called semi still. I seen them more, can't remember where. Love the breathing effect, wish I knew how to add it.
No.
To everything and everyone.
Just No.