Grammar Police Therapy Thread

For all the things that don’t fit anywhere else
admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Grammar Police Therapy Thread

Post by admin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 pm

As we know, basically, one of the ways to help people who are triggered with certain things is too expose them to them things alot. Affectively desensitizing them too it so they can basically cope better in these challenging situations.

Basically use this thread to exercise you’re personal grammar and spoken word and punctuation demons. If there is something that basically irks you, go ahead and basically let it rip here.

Let it out! Purge it all! We wont judge... Oh... who am I kidding... of course... we will judge!
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

Zara
Sage Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi

Re: Grammar Police Therapy Thread

Post by Zara » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 pm
As we know, basically, one of the ways to help people who are triggered with certain things is too expose them to them things alot. Affectively desensitizing them too it so they can basically cope better in these challenging situations.

Basically use this thread to exercise you’re personal grammar and spoken word and punctuation demons. If there is something that basically irks you, go ahead and basically let it rip here.

Let it out! Purge it all! We wont judge... Oh... who am I kidding... of course... we will judge!
*exorcise

:P

admin
Head Pixel

Post by admin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:02 pm

hahah, and here I was thinking that was a sneaky one. 8-)

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

Zara
Sage Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi

Post by Zara » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

The usual ones like they're/their/there don't irk me as much as they use to, I guess you become numb to the regular ones eventually. Whenever you correct someone you risk offending them so I hardly bother ... unless you know they have a good attitude towards it (points up). ;)

What does currently bother me is the proliferation of people typing "Walla!" when they are trying to say "Voilà!" It's an actual French word, not a made up internet thing but eh. :|

Not really grammar but in a similar vein is my ever decreasing use of American English. When I used to chat with friends here, most of whom are American, I would convert things like café to diner, bonnet to hood, trousers to pants etc, but now I feel like I should just be me and if you don't understand me well then I'll just explain what I mean and that's some extra convo! :D

Daise2
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=91359500

Post by Daise2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 pm

I can be very forgiving when its not someone's first language. With a french mother and and italian partner, I think I've heard every faux-pas going....my mum being the worst offender with her odd french/english translations. We've had everything from her proudly announcing to dinner guests my father now has a large erection at the bottom of the garden, to her explaining how she cleans her back passage out each month with a wire brush and bleach.

I am less forgiving when I see English nationals making basic grammatical errors. The usual Their/there/they're blah blah but also the misuse of words like access vs assess, meat vs meet. I personally find it a sad reflection on what happened to British education at primary and secondary level some 10-15 years ago to now have several generations of adults who make more spelling errors than my 10 year does.

However, I rarely comment or criticise someone's grammar unless they start on me...usually when I'm told I've spelt 'tyre' wrong, or criticise and such words :) And I used to be a stickler for insisting on spelling 'catalogue' the English way. In the end, I caved in and as far as imvu goes, its Catalog ;)

oOChrissyOo
Notorious Pixel

Post by oOChrissyOo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Daise2 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 pm
I can be very forgiving when its not someone's first language. With a french mother and and italian partner, I think I've heard every faux-pas going....my mum being the worst offender with her odd french/english translations. We've had everything from her proudly announcing to dinner guests my father now has a large erection at the bottom of the garden, to her explaining how she cleans her back passage out each month with a wire brush and bleach.

I am less forgiving when I see English nationals making basic grammatical errors. The usual Their/there/they're blah blah but also the misuse of words like access vs assess, meat vs meet. I personally find it a sad reflection on what happened to British education at primary and secondary level some 10-15 years ago to now have several generations of adults who make more spelling errors than my 10 year does.

However, I rarely comment or criticise someone's grammar unless they start on me...usually when I'm told I've spelt 'tyre' wrong, or criticise and such words :) And I used to be a stickler for insisting on spelling 'catalogue' the English way. In the end, I caved in and as far as imvu goes, its Catalog ;)
Wow....Sorry..but I literally spit my coffee out laughing at that.....* wipes screen*...
Anyway...I have a hard time accepting some grammar errors, and tend to try to correct people but, most people take it offensively when I'm just trying to help. So, I just throw in a few of my own...and Smile. :)

GuySBot
Prolific Pixel

Post by GuySBot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:38 am

they're their there , it'll be aight
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

yokoed
Prolific Pixel

Post by yokoed » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 am

Resent top it.
Owe eye sea ewe no howl two reed.
Butt eye due knot no howl two right fore shores.
Eye sea know ears.

Daise2
Prolific Pixel

Post by Daise2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm

oOChrissyOo wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 pm
Daise2 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Wow....Sorry..but I literally spit my coffee out laughing at that.....* wipes screen*...
Anyway...I have a hard time accepting some grammar errors, and tend to try to correct people but, most people take it offensively when I'm just trying to help. So, I just throw in a few of my own...and Smile. :)
lol sorry Chrissy....she's a constant font of cock-ups my mother lol

Adds: and the other thing I hate, is people typing in an 'accent'....scottish accents being the one that comes to mind...its a ruddy nightmare to read and translate lol

WickedAngel
Prolific Pixel

Post by WickedAngel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Biggest pet peeve...asshole by Americans...sorry guys....it's arsehole....ok moving on

I have about 10 qualified teachers in my family..the older lot I love, the younger ones I'm constantly correcting their pronunciation. When I started at school our english was the 'queen's english' and we weren't influenced much by the american english. That started to change when I was near the end of primary school and I copped my brother as a student teacher on his placement rounds. My grade 5 teacher had said it was ok to leave the u out of colour, flavour and so forth as this is what was coming in Australia wide. Except my grammar nazi brother wouldn't allow it.

I'm a slow reader due to various health issues as a kid, but I became very good at spelling and so forth due to the way they taught me to read. So I always did really well in the spelling tests. Until I had my brother, and one of the turdy boys in my class had to correct my spelling test. He took much delight in asking my brother if certain words had to have the u in them...and my brother said yes.....was not a happy camper.

Unfortunately nowadays they go with the phonetic spelling, which I think is a huge detriment to society. Teaching kids proper grammar and so forth, helps them learn the rules of society better also.

Extinction
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Extinction

Post by Extinction » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Something ironic with Wicked's post is that me living in the Untied States, I was taught to spell and prounciate certain words in particular ways. As I got older I started to adapt more to the books I read and the people I spoke to, which lead me to change how I speak in regards. By the time I reached univeristy, despite still living in the United States, I typed and spoke more in-line with the British English. My Professor, however, would always mark me down over it, expressing that "U" didn't belong in colour, etc. I ended up taking it up with the Head English Department, which luckily favoured my side of the argument! (If not I would of failed English 101 lol)
EXTINCTION @ IMVU
~ Making Anthro Designs & Creations since 2007 ~

Product Requests: OPEN
I have difficulties with communicating my ideas and thoughts properly.
Please be patient with me.

EsReverniDrawrof
Pixel Ninja Assassin
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/EsReverniDrawrof

Post by EsReverniDrawrof » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:37 am

Pulse! If I want a headache, I switch over from friends only to world pulse, and try to make sense out of the posts. So few posts are clearly written, including the creator ads.
I used to give people flack for saying "repulse this please", I'd say "yep, that's pretty repulsive, but it's not quite making me gag". I think I'm the only one who thought that was funny.
I'm not a Nazi (< :o I didn't get censored for typing that 4 letter "n" word!) about grammar, but hold people accountable if they're in a position where grammar should matter. I'm a lazy typist, and only because of the subject matter, am I including all my punctuation- usually don't will be dont, and I know the reader gets it, so I dont care. However, when the head of my child's PTO or a teacher sends out an email, I expect the grammar to be next to perfect. Likewise for a journalist. I read an article online, where the author (a professional supposedly) used "thru" instead of "through", and twice used "ur" instead of "your" and "you're". Maybe that was acceptable back in the day before smart phones (again, I'm a lazy typist, though I never used tho, I'm more forgiving of text-speak.) But only when texting!
I still second guess whether to use "affect" or "effect", "whom" vs. "who". Is it "she and he are coming with me", or "I'm going with him and her"? English (whether it's color as colour, and non-rhotic, or ass instead of arse and rhotic) is not a simple language. I have SO much respect for those that (who) speak it as a second language. Americans with English as their first language should at least envision spelling correctly, and perhaps even try it. Who doesn't use spell check?

Twiddybird
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Twiddybird

Post by Twiddybird » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 am

admin wrote:

I see it, five times, it's the first thing I note when reading what people write... REPETITION! (Basically cope..Basically use..Basically irks..Basically let it rip) I can feel my teeth grinding in the back of my mouth, I am shivering and shaking, eyes are squinting and I can feel my temperature rising to an unhealthy level, why does this affect/effect (<~~~Love this).. me in such an adverse way?

admin
Head Pixel

Post by admin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:04 am

Twiddybird wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:55 am
admin wrote:

I see it, five times, it's the first thing I note when reading what people write... REPETITION! (Basically cope..Basically use..Basically irks..Basically let it rip) I can feel my teeth grinding in the back of my mouth, I am shivering and shaking, eyes are squinting and I can feel my temperature rising to an unhealthy level, why does this affect/effect (<~~~Love this).. me in such an adverse way?
*bows*

"basically" is one of my ones. I watch a lot of gaming channels while I work and it has become the crutch word du jour. Its so rampant, I shudder (I wanted to type shutter there, lol) every time a hear it.

I tried to also add in the double spacing between words and before periods but the forum's formatting fix it! gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

admin
Head Pixel

Post by admin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:41 am

Daise2 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm
Adds: and the other thing I hate, is people typing in an 'accent'....scottish accents being the one that comes to mind...its a ruddy nightmare to read and translate lol
I dinna ken wa ye on about.

(parents from Dundee)------>

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Is this really a thang?

I don't care about internet grammar.

Chrissy corrected me a few times when I OBVIOUSLY mis-typed words. She learned quickly to not do that. lol

At any given time I am on three computers, my phone, and chasing three wiener dogs. I can't be held responsible for a typo.

NOW....send me an email with that crap in it...I will judge you. You have time to re-read what you are expressing and should do so before you click the "send".

And btw....I am know to purposely type "iz" for is. I do it when I am being playful or dorky.

Daise2
Prolific Pixel

Post by Daise2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:04 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:41 am
Daise2 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm
I dinna ken wa ye on about.

(parents from Dundee)------>
brat lol

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Post by MandaMarie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Wuts dis thred about? Your gonna' creteek speeling and gramer?
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

WickedAngel
Prolific Pixel

Post by WickedAngel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:14 pm
Is this really a thang?

I don't care about internet grammar.

Chrissy corrected me a few times when I OBVIOUSLY mis-typed words. She learned quickly to not do that. lol

At any given time I am on three computers, my phone, and chasing three wiener dogs. I can't be held responsible for a typo.

NOW....send me an email with that crap in it...I will judge you. You have time to re-read what you are expressing and should do so before you click the "send".

And btw....I am know to purposely type "iz" for is. I do it when I am being playful or dorky.
You have wiener dogs....cooooooooooll...love wiener dogs...had one come into my classroom when I was in grade prep and it sat at one of the desks. :lol:

HugsAndKisses
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/HugsAndKisses

Post by HugsAndKisses » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Wassup. I don't know how to respond to that.

Seige
Dark Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Post by Seige » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

¡lnɟɹǝpuoM spunoS ¿ɟɟo spɐǝɥ ɹno dᴉɹ llᴉʍ ǝuo ou puɐ ɥʇɹoɟ os puɐ ƃuᴉllǝds puɐ spɹoʍ ɟo ǝsn ɹǝdoɹdɯᴉ ʇnoqɐ ʇuǝʌ uɐɔ ǝʍ ʇɐɥʇ ƃuᴉʎɐs ǝɹɐ noʎ oS

Roy
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am

I sometimes tend to go back and forth between American spellings and Canadian ones.

<<' I sometimes get messages when I "misspelled" a product's name.... like the whole grey/gray thing. I also live on a border city so lots of Americans come here. (bwahaha a couple of times a few years back we had people coming up with their families with ski gear packed to visit our city in summer. )

My left wrist is a bit bad so sometimes it locks up and I misspell and for the sake of keeping up with the pace of chat I enter anyways if it is minor. :P

I usually do not correct someone's misspellings unless I see them using it more than once so they know the word. (esp. if English is not first language)

Phone users sometimes annoy me because they overuse the emotes and use a lot of text speak. I try to tolerate it, but sometimes I can not even understand it XD If you have to go back and explain what you just said...doesn't that defeat the purpose of making every other word a short form?

HugsAndKisses
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/HugsAndKisses

Post by HugsAndKisses » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Roy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:48 am
I sometimes tend to go back and forth between American spellings and Canadian ones.

<<' I sometimes get messages when I "misspelled" a product's name.... like the whole grey/gray thing. I also live on a border city so lots of Americans come here. (bwahaha a couple of times a few years back we had people coming up with their families with ski gear packed to visit our city in summer. )

My left wrist is a bit bad so sometimes it locks up and I misspell and for the sake of keeping up with the pace of chat I enter anyways if it is minor. :P

I usually do not correct someone's misspellings unless I see them using it more than once so they know the word. (esp. if English is not first language)

Phone users sometimes annoy me because they overuse the emotes and use a lot of text speak. I try to tolerate it, but sometimes I can not even understand it XD If you have to go back and explain what you just said...doesn't that defeat the purpose of making every other word a short form?
I use common misspellings as keywords ;)