Healthy desserts (low to no added sugar)

A special place for all you Magicians of the Kitchen. Dish on your favorite dishes here!
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini

Healthy desserts (low to no added sugar)

Post by Elaini » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:42 am

Expect this thread to include a lot of fruits and honey! Here's what everyone can enjoy, even those with special diets.

Here's the first one, it was an easter hit of mine - it disappeared into the mouths pretty quickly.

No Bake Fruit Cheesecake

For overall recipe:

450 grams of fruit, puréed

- The fruit of medium water consistency, such as mango or apricot is recommended. Boil the fruits softer if you need to.
- If the water consistency is high in a fruit, for example an orange, try adding more gelatin sheets.

Base:

175 grams of granola or biscuits
80 grams of butter

- Pulverize the granola or biscuits in a blender, for example. Add the butter and pluck the micture into even crumbs. Press the mixture evenly into a cake mold with a removable base. Put the cake in the fridge while you make the cheese filling.

Cheese filling:

5 gelatin sheets
3 tablespoons of juice
3 dl of whipping cream (1.27 cups)
250 grams of the fruit puree
250 grams of unseasoned cream cheese
1 dl of honey (0.42 cups)

- Put the gelatin sheets to soften in a cold water for about 20 minutes. Meantime, make the rest of the filling.
- Whip the cream so it becomes fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese into the mixing bowl along with the fruit puree and honey, and mix them even.
- Bring the juice to a boil. Squeeze the excess water off the gelatin, and add it to the hot juice until it has dissolved.
- Pour the warm gelatin mixture as a thin stream into the cheese filling as you keep the mixer on. Mix evenly.
- Pour the cheese filling on the cake base and make it as even as possible.
- Refrigerate the cake at least four hours, preferably overnight.

Topping:

3 gelatin sheets
3 tablespoons of juice
The rest of the fruit purée

- Prepare the gelatin mix as you did for the cake filling and add it to the purée.
- Pour it on the jellied cheese filling and let it set in the fridge for another 4 hours.
- Take the cake off it's mold (or at least remove the sides of the mold), and enjoy!

SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Re: Healthy desserts (low to no added sugar)

Post by SqkyC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 am

I cook without eggs or dairy and (used to, much to recent detriment of my waistline!) omit much of the sugar also. Here's one of my favorites.

Recipe adapted from I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar Cookbook by Deborah E. Buhr

Blueberry Muffins (from Super Sweet Blueberry Muffins recipe) makes about 18 regular muffins

some mashed banana (about a cup or so, 1 large or 2-3 small)
2 egg/egg substitute (I use 1tsp tapioca flour + a little water for each egg)
1/3 c vegetable oil (use less than 1/3c if not using eggs or they will be too oily)
1/2 c juice concentrate of your choice
1 Tbsp water
2 cups flour of your choice
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 tsp baking soda

1) Prepare your muffin cups and have them standing by.
2) Preheat oven to 350f.
3) Mash bananas together with egg (if using), oil, water and juice.
4) Add the flour (and tapioca flour if using instead of eggs), stir 'til just a little lumpy. Mix should be pretty thick but not dry lumps.
5) Gently stir in the berries. (this will moisten the batter some) Add a little water if needed.
6) Add baking soda last, and immediately spoon into prepared muffin cups.
7) Bake 350f about 20 minutes, or until they test done. Remove the hot muffins from the tins and cool on a wire rack to avoid them getting soggy.

*note - they don't brown like sugar muffins, you'll need to poke them with a toothpick or something to test them.

I tend to just dump approximate amounts together into the bowl, using however many ripe bananas I have or whatever and just add more flour/leavening as needed. Sometimes I add psyllium husk for bran muffins. Sometimes I add dried fruits. It is a very adaptable recipe. :)

Elaini
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini

Post by Elaini » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:04 am

My family has a few diabetics in it and there are a lot of wild delicious blueberries to be picked... so I have to try that recipe, definitely. Thanks SqkyC. :D

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:03 pm