Google Images - Pinterest loop

Want to discuss the Latest Film, TV Show, Favorite Band, Social Media Sensation? Here is the place for you!
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini

Google Images - Pinterest loop

Post by Elaini » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 am

Are you familiar with the situation when you're searching art in Google Images and nearly half of the images lead to Pinterest, and not necessarily to the image directly? And the image URL in Pinterest doesn't necessarily point to any page where the image is being used, just the JPEG file itself. The artist is rarely credited.

I mean... I do love Google and I do love Pinterest, but it seems like they love each other as well a little too much. It's starting to make finding the artist and their original page and profile very difficult.

GuySBot
Prolific Pixel

Re: Google Images - Pinterest loop

Post by GuySBot » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:31 pm

I liked pinterest when it first started but never really used it how It was intended to be used .
Meaning from the start it was really all about getting you to goto their site and learn you for better spamming of you .
Then when they changed it to like where when you go there you get a pop over saying sign in , sign up or go away . . .
I went away . Plus I'm pretty sure pinterest or perhaps most of its users who upload resize or don't have the original files
and I always prefer to get the highest quality possible .

I think google has like a reverse image search or something along those lines .
Other sites have it to where you can input the image and it gives you a list of relevant likenesses .
I'm not really too familiar with them as I don't search much for images or art a lot .
That may help you a tad bit to find the originals . Otherwise I'd suggest alike here find a good art
forum and the users there will most likely be able to point you to the originals .

Here is one I've read people like - https://www.tineye.com/
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Re: Google Images - Pinterest loop

Post by SqkyC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 am

Yep. I like to surf images of places sometimes (historical or just pretty pictures) and noticed this also. I can't remember if it is Firefox itself, the search engine (I use Startpage) or some plugin or another that allows me to open the thumbnail by itself in a new window but it's kinda a pain when it is a picture linked from Pinterest as I'll often go to the host website to read the blog or whatever.

Once upon a time didn't Pinterest link to the original host website? It seems like I used to be able to show a link under the photo but now cannot locate it as I get that durn popup thing instead.

Firefox plugin Nuke Anything Enhanced it great for removing these kind of annoyances, btw. ;)

My favorite go to place for nice desktop backgrounds went away. :/ wunderground.com used to host a community of weather photo enthusiasts but they took that part of the site down. They were bought by weather.com apparently. It seems like all the nice little parts of the web that have been around long enough to get used to are being taken over by giant corporate interests now.