A place for talking about IMVU
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini

Post by Elaini » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Sometimes when I'm in the same room with just one avatar with loads of particles and other effects on it, my fan starts getting really loud in the "whoa there, I can't even" kind of way. I just replaced the thermal paste of my GPU (with the good stuff) a few days ago after blowing all the dust off with compressed air, so it's certainly not a maintenance issue - I do have some knowledge on how to fix my computer.

- What do you think is the ideal KBs?
- How must do the effects have to do with lag / oveaheating?
- And... do you think public rooms should be able to force a KB limit for it's guests?

Daphne2219
Posting Pixel

Re: Avatar KBs

Post by Daphne2219 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 am

I think around 3K will be enough, avatars getting more realistic (hairs, clothes are more detailed compared with the avi's many years ago), so the kb's have been going up as well. As for my own avi, i try not to go further than 2.5k

probably like i said above, lately products have been more detailed, especially effects of any kind, some are so heavy, they ask a lot of memory / cpu/gpu power. Playing with the advance settings in the client might help a bit.

- And... do you think public rooms should be able to force a KB limit for it's guests?

That would be nice, also will stop those annoying lag-trolls.

GuySBot
Prolific Pixel

Post by GuySBot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Elaini wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:00 pm
Sometimes when I'm in the same room with just one avatar with loads of particles and other effects on it, my fan starts getting really loud in the "whoa there, I can't even" kind of way. I just replaced the thermal paste of my GPU (with the good stuff) a few days ago after blowing all the dust off with compressed air, so it's certainly not a maintenance issue - I do have some knowledge on how to fix my computer.

way long ago I had a computer with similar symptoms , you can adjust your fan so it isn't always running and only whirs when necessary .
ideal kb doesn't matter to me besides if they are a griefer out to lag others so unless its a room with a lot of people no limit.
personally I keep mine around 1000 or under because a vast amount of users have slower pc/internets . .
I guess you can kinda list as people do a kb limit and boot those who don't follow the suggestion .
sorry I didn't provide much help here with stuff you probably already knew .
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

Seige
Dark Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Post by Seige » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:15 pm

I found out that our Browsers have a setting that has your Accelerate Hardware graphics automatically set to enabled. Even though it is on your Web Browser it still affects your hardware every time you come across any kind of graphics including IMVU. I have been telling people to look for this in their Browser settings and disable it so far it has worked for me and a few others but I am sure there are other issues with settings and cache as well. I think there is also a setting for it on the actual Operating system as well but I have not been able to locate it on mine. I hope this helps a tiny bit at least.

As for KBs most of the rooms push the 2500 kb limit but as mentioned above meshes and textures are becoming more detailed and slowly people have been raising the limit to 3000 Kbs for rooms because a lot of people wind up taking off their hair and skins just to be in a room. I myself dislike the particle effects especially if a room description clearly states no such items are allowed in the room. Sometimes you just have to boot a person because they not only have lagged the room but froze them self due to all the effects they have on... :(