Watch out for fake age verification and AP badges!

A place for talking about IMVU
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Watch out for fake age verification and AP badges!

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat May 06, 2017 11:26 am

So I was recently informed by several users about how they can have fake badges on their profile. They had fake badges on their profile themselves, it showed that they had age verification while they are not age verified. You can probably do this with all the badges, perhaps even the staff badges, so all of you should watch out for kids with fake age verification and AP. I have yet to see anyone with a fake staff badge, but if you can fake other badges then why not...

As this is a very concerning issue for me, I wanted to first keep this information private between me and staff. However, my concerns were brushed off and I was told to go to customer service, and yeah, we all know how much that will help. I should not have to jump through hoops for an issue IMVU should take seriously from the start. Which is why I am going public with this now and warning all of you. At least you'll know that this is a thing now and maybe one of you can do what I was unable to and convince staff to take this seriously.

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Re: Watch out for fake age verification and AP badges!

Post by MandaMarie » Sat May 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks for sharing this Cookie. I do think if this "trick" is figured out, and anyone knows how to do it, please do not post it here. It is something suitable for staff to deal with and you should for sure open a ticket and describe it to them. I don't think anyone using the Pixel Pusher forum needs to know how. But the heads up is greatly appreciated. :D
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat May 06, 2017 4:20 pm

I am not going to post how to do it here, don't worry, but I am not also going to go through hell called customer service. I contacted staff and I had evidence and they brushed it off. This isn't really my issue to fix and they do not seem to care anyways so what is the point of bending myself over backwards for this, especially if I'll get no respect for it. I am currently very busy with real life anyways.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Who brushed it off :) Maybe I have some additional contact info that I can provide you.

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Post by MandaMarie » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 am

Brushing something like this off can be very dangerous. I mean if a teen under the age of 18 does this and pretends to be over the age of 18 it can get people into a lot of trouble. I don't mean a disabled account either. I do mean jail time. For anyone on IMVU staff to brush such a thing off tells me, maybe IMVU isn't really a safe place for me any longer. :(

With my own age verification, status always set to 18+, and fact I stick 90% of the time to AP public rooms, as well as only really talk mostly to people I know have an access pass I thought I could trust in IMVU to keep my conversations safe from someone who may be too young for them. Now granted, I know that sounds like I am a bad/naughty person in chat, but that isn't the case. I still feel there are a lot of conversations I have that I personally rather only take part in with another adult. Guess this is just another example why I should tame down even more, and not really experience IMVU the way I have liked to for 10 years. What worries me is there are a TON of people who do take part in "the naughty chat." Imagine that happening with a minor?

~gets sick in the tummy~
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 am

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm
Who brushed it off :) Maybe I have some additional contact info that I can provide you.
The last person I talked to about this was Shannon who told me to file help tickets and only if I basically had a full solution worked out for them. But like I said multiple times before, I'm not interested in dealing with this if this will be a fight and a huge task for me. This whole thing sucks, it really does, and I wanted to do something, but in the end, it is IMVU's problem to solve which they do not seem interested in solving and quite frankly, I am tired of how hard it is to get them to care, to take things like this seriously and to do something. I rather try to tell you guys about this because they won't listen to one person but maybe they start to care if more people find out about this.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun May 07, 2017 9:36 am

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:05 am
Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:57 pm
The last person I talked to about this was Shannon who told me to file help tickets and only if I basically had a full solution worked out for them. But like I said multiple times before, I'm not interested in dealing with this if this will be a fight and a huge task for me. This whole thing sucks, it really does, and I wanted to do something, but in the end, it is IMVU's problem to solve which they do not seem interested in solving and quite frankly, I am tired of how hard it is to get them to care, to take things like this seriously and to do something. I rather try to tell you guys about this because they won't listen to one person but maybe they start to care if more people find out about this.
You got it Cookie.

Unfortunately - I truly don't believe Shannon KNOWS to place urgency on something like this.

I sent an email to the people I have contact with.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks, at least there is a better chance that they will listen to you.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun May 07, 2017 2:04 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 am
Thanks, at least there is a better chance that they will listen to you.
I don't know if that is true :)

I did coincidentally get a call from DA5 this morning - and she thinks this is a very concerning issue too. She was on my email distribution...so let's hope she helps us.

Roy
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Roy

Post by Roy » Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 am

How can you tell fakes?

I am pretty generally GA in my speaking as a whole, but this is really concerning to me.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Mon May 08, 2017 11:42 am

It is actually pretty easy to tell when a person has a fake badge as long as you remember to check for it. But it is also easy for those users to deceive others that do not know better.

The fake badges will appear in messages and next to their avatar picture in forum and group posts, homepage, etc but the fake badges do not load when you load up their full profile, probably because they do not actually have those things so server won't load them when loading the full profile.

The sad thing is that a big reasons why these fake badges, especially AV badges are getting popular, is because more and more actual adults from outside the united States are using them because customer service won't accept their IDs. Both of the users that I have talked about this and who have these fake badges initially contacted me because they were unable to get their age verification due to their ID not being in English and wanted to know if there is something else they could do.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Mon May 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Cookie - staff may reach out to you.

I have been told they are investigating this issue.

IF you have account names that will help them, please feel free to PM me the details if you need my help further.

I have also invited staff to join PPC if they are interested.