Brett Durrett (thoughts about us)

A place for talking about IMVU
BunnyCakes
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=30837115

Brett Durrett (thoughts about us)

Post by BunnyCakes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:33 am

Brett Durrett 2 weeks ago
I see some feedback from IMVU customers that wish the company focussed on issues that most impact their personal experience and in many cases, those of their peers. I understand the critical feedback.

A substantial challenge in figuring out where to take an existing product is hearing all of the voices, seeing what changes actually result in improvements (e.g. more customers, better business) and also looking at market trends to understand external factors that will influence your business.

These product decisions are really hard because you know some passionate and great customers will disagree (rightfully so, based on their specific experience and needs). For example, customers that only use a PC generally express little value in a mobile experience, but growth in a social space requires mobile products.

I think a great example of this is Netflix, who had a great business and loyal customers in DVD rentals - their fanatical DVD rental customers were not telling them to make streaming a priority, Netflix recognized that being the leader in streaming was critical to the growth and future existence of the company. Netflix avoided becoming the Blockbuster they replaced when Blockbuster missed learning that people really didn't want to go to a movie rental store (something Blockbuster was not hearing from their loyal customers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1A7jzL8xo

Zara
Sage Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi

Re: Brett Durrett (thoughts about us)

Post by Zara » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 am

BunnyCakes wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:33 am
Brett Durrett 2 weeks ago
I see some feedback from IMVU customers that wish the company focussed on issues that most impact their personal experience and in many cases, those of their peers. I understand the critical feedback.

A substantial challenge in figuring out where to take an existing product is hearing all of the voices, seeing what changes actually result in improvements (e.g. more customers, better business) and also looking at market trends to understand external factors that will influence your business.

These product decisions are really hard because you know some passionate and great customers will disagree (rightfully so, based on their specific experience and needs). For example, customers that only use a PC generally express little value in a mobile experience, but growth in a social space requires mobile products.

I think a great example of this is Netflix, who had a great business and loyal customers in DVD rentals - their fanatical DVD rental customers were not telling them to make streaming a priority, Netflix recognized that being the leader in streaming was critical to the growth and future existence of the company. Netflix avoided becoming the Blockbuster they replaced when Blockbuster missed learning that people really didn't want to go to a movie rental store (something Blockbuster was not hearing from their loyal customers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1A7jzL8xo
Just his usual "Screw you, we're going to do what we want to do" attitude that's he's always had.

I love the way he says "some" ... excuse me, WHAT?? ... More like 90% plus.

*Considers the rule about staff bashing and just thinks to myself what a twat he is instead." :x

BunnyCakes
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=30837115

Post by BunnyCakes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:09 am

I'm glad he has stepped down as CEO. Glassdoor employees speak volumes about his tenure.

DianaDeMysterieux
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/DianaDeMysterieux

Post by DianaDeMysterieux » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 am

I have no problem with IMVU wanting to expand to other platforms such Smartphones and Tablets.

However, they are so focused on trying to please mobile users that they alienating the PC Users who, let's be honest here.... are the reason why they are still in business. Yes, one can chat on mobile devices, but one cannot develop on a mobile device and let's be honest here, the shop on IMVU Next looks like crap. Not mention if anyone buys furniture on Next, they cannot use it on Next, they still have to use the Desktop Client.

Brett's attitude about the majority of users rightfully complaining comes off a bit snobbish, which tells me that he only maybe half-listened (if at all) to IMVU Users.
La Dame Mystere

Elsen
New Pixel

Post by Elsen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

I've never understood the argument that mobile devices are superior, the way forward, or that PCs are outdated.
To me that's like someone saying that cars are outdated because planes are faster. Or that talking is outdated because texting is faster.

Cars and planes are both forms of transportation, but they are fundamentally different, and used for fundamentally different reasons. Talking and texting are both forms of communication, but texting lacks a quality that talking has, namely emotion and inflection. Such is the case with PC and mobile. They are both widely used technologies, but they are used for different reasons based on the activities and needs of the user. Just as a PC is not portable enough if you're on the go, a mobile device cannot do everything a PC can.

I don't understand this need to combine everything into one device- I don't need to have just one device, I can use multiple for different things, the same way I use different tools for different kinds of art. I wouldn't try to paint with a pencil, I wouldn't try to draw with an eraser, and I wouldn't try to erase with a paintbrush. Nor would I want a tool that could do all of these things, because there are other factors to consider beside base function.. Like the size of the brush, the size of the eraser, or the width of the graphite.

The bottom line is that different people have different technological needs based on their activities, and while you should try to include everyone, you shouldn't play favourites based on a fad.. Because fads are fickle, and if you alienate your most dedicated members while chasing one, you might find you've got nothing to fall back on when the trends change.
Je pense tout et son contraire, comme un enfant
Je danse, j'ai le coeur à l'envers, comme un enfant

DianaDeMysterieux
Prolific Pixel

Post by DianaDeMysterieux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Elsen wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm
I've never understood the argument that mobile devices are superior, the way forward, or that PCs are outdated.
To me that's like someone saying that cars are outdated because planes are faster. Or that talking is outdated because texting is faster.

Cars and planes are both forms of transportation, but they are fundamentally different, and used for fundamentally different reasons. Talking and texting are both forms of communication, but texting lacks a quality that talking has, namely emotion and inflection. Such is the case with PC and mobile. They are both widely used technologies, but they are used for different reasons based on the activities and needs of the user. Just as a PC is not portable enough if you're on the go, a mobile device cannot do everything a PC can.

I don't understand this need to combine everything into one device- I don't need to have just one device, I can use multiple for different things, the same way I use different tools for different kinds of art. I wouldn't try to paint with a pencil, I wouldn't try to draw with an eraser, and I wouldn't try to erase with a paintbrush. Nor would I want a tool that could do all of these things, because there are other factors to consider beside base function.. Like the size of the brush, the size of the eraser, or the width of the graphite.

The bottom line is that different people have different technological needs based on their activities, and while you should try to include everyone, you shouldn't play favourites based on a fad.. Because fads are fickle, and if you alienate your most dedicated members while chasing one, you might find you've got nothing to fall back on when the trends change.
All of this is what many of us have been trying to tell the heads of IMVU who are so determined to push Next. Yes, include the mobile users, but don't alienate the PC users. Because once the mobile trend dies down (and we all know it will), IMVU is going to have to fall back to it's PC Users and that's if they haven't ran practically every last one of them off.
La Dame Mystere

Roy
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Roy

Post by Roy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am

IMVU Next is in its Beta phase and the Client Download is hidden to new users. I think this turns too many people away who never get to experience everything.

I think Next would need a lot of work before being placed as the default.

In the mean time I would have it as an option still...but not the default for new users.

And Netflix uses the Movie/Series covers or posters to showcase them..it does not just have only the title on a white background :P

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Post by MandaMarie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Comparing IMVU to Netflix is just friggin silly. Neither of them has anything in common, but if he would like to compare them, then so be it. Sure, Netflix made a HUGE change. It set them off to be a very big success too.

So what did Netflix do in their change? Well, they offered the same movies, in the same quality elsewhere. High-quality movies through a different platform. Customers found a new and different way, to use a "movie" service, and receive the same quality product, they got on a DVD, that they had to wait for in the mail beforehand.

IMVU's change, are we still getting the same PC quality from Next? Or from the mobile app? What type of quality is it when products can't render correctly on avatars? Composite blending that, well just doesn't work right. Where you may see a smooth line on PC, you see a jagged pixelated line in the app. Nearly 100% of everything sold in the catalog today, was made to work with the PC Client. It's made from PC tools, PC programs (yes mac programs too). The entire site was built off of using a home computer. Mobile technology just can't yet render like a home computer can. I won't even get started listing off all the crap from Next and the app here, we all know this list already and how crappy the two are, compared to the PC Client.

Let's compare now, something that makes more sense. World of Warcraft vs. IMVU.

World of Warcraft and their change to mobile devices. What did they do? Well, they created a new game entirely instead of moving Azeroth to Androids. They made a game called HearthStone. It's fully made for mobile.

What about Second Life? Sure people have made apps to log in and check messages through your tablet or phone. But guess where Linden Labs has been putting their money and time into? That's right, VR. Second Life has decided to instead of just transferring everything from their worlds to a mobile device, they went on an entirely new level. They are working on strictly VR worlds for the future. Why do I bring this up? Well, its simple. Look at Second Lifes success, then, compare it to IMVUs. Come on Brett Durrett, compare IMVU with Second Life. Compare it to a world similar in style. Oh, wait, in doing that, you might reveal the size of Linden Labs success, to IMVU's.

Hey, everyone, I have a comparison. In light of the birth of the Pixel Pusher Forum, let's compare how much better it works than the public coffee grinder at the store in the coffee bean section works. I heard they are making a coffee grinder app for iPhone soon.
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

DianaDeMysterieux
Prolific Pixel

Post by DianaDeMysterieux » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 am

MandaMarie wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm
Comparing IMVU to Netflix is just friggin silly. Neither of them has anything in common, but if he would like to compare them, then so be it. Sure, Netflix made a HUGE change. It set them off to be a very big success too.

So what did Netflix do in their change? Well, they offered the same movies, in the same quality elsewhere. High-quality movies through a different platform. Customers found a new and different way, to use a "movie" service, and receive the same quality product, they got on a DVD, that they had to wait for in the mail beforehand.

IMVU's change, are we still getting the same PC quality from Next? Or from the mobile app? What type of quality is it when products can't render correctly on avatars? Composite blending that, well just doesn't work right. Where you may see a smooth line on PC, you see a jagged pixelated line in the app. Nearly 100% of everything sold in the catalog today, was made to work with the PC Client. It's made from PC tools, PC programs (yes mac programs too). The entire site was built off of using a home computer. Mobile technology just can't yet render like a home computer can. I won't even get started listing off all the crap from Next and the app here, we all know this list already and how crappy the two are, compared to the PC Client.

Let's compare now, something that makes more sense. World of Warcraft vs. IMVU.

World of Warcraft and their change to mobile devices. What did they do? Well, they created a new game entirely instead of moving Azeroth to Androids. They made a game called HearthStone. It's fully made for mobile.

What about Second Life? Sure people have made apps to log in and check messages through your tablet or phone. But guess where Linden Labs has been putting their money and time into? That's right, VR. Second Life has decided to instead of just transferring everything from their worlds to a mobile device, they went on an entirely new level. They are working on strictly VR worlds for the future. Why do I bring this up? Well, its simple. Look at Second Lifes success, then, compare it to IMVUs. Come on Brett Durrett, compare IMVU with Second Life. Compare it to a world similar in style. Oh, wait, in doing that, you might reveal the size of Linden Labs success, to IMVU's.

Hey, everyone, I have a comparison. In light of the birth of the Pixel Pusher Forum, let's compare how much better it works than the public coffee grinder at the store in the coffee bean section works. I heard they are making a coffee grinder app for iPhone soon.
Everything you have just said I agree with.

The fact that Brett wanted to compare IMVU to Netflix is like comparing apples to oranges.

I seriously don't know what was going through Brett's mind when he said such crap, but here are the facts...

PCs are not ever going to go out of style. Granted they will become slimmer and more powerful, hell you can get PCs that have the monitor and hard drive in one, but they are not ever going out of style. As I said before, the mobile trend will get old and die out and IMVU will have no choice but to fall back on PCs users.

Lastly, since Brett wants to compare Netflix to IMVU, here's a link to post about 5 mistakes that Netflix made...

http://www.businessonmarketst.com/blog/ ... mistakes/

Yeah, really smart to compare Netflix to IMVU...

NOT!
La Dame Mystere

HugsAndKisses
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/HugsAndKisses

Post by HugsAndKisses » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm

A mobile device can't do everything as a pc. Therefore it stands to reason that pc users that use IMVU will spend more than mobile device users that use IMVU.