Sketchup INFO THREAD

Help and Tips for Making New Meshes
admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Sketchup INFO THREAD

Post by admin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:55 pm

• About SketchUp

SketchUp (formally owned by Google) is a lower cost meshing alternative for IMVU. It can be used to make Furniture and Rooms.

SketchUp is not supported by IMVU but has a dedicated Creator User Base who have helped make it functional for IMVU use.

While SketchUp is free to use, to use it for commercial applications (which IMVU is) requires a pro license.
    SketchUp licensing can be purchase from their website at https://www.sketchup.com/buy/sketchup-pro
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Re: Sketchup INFO THREAD

Post by admin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 pm

• SketchUp Tutorials

Coming Soon!
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

MisterWhite
Posting Pixel

Post by MisterWhite » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:27 pm

For anyone that uses the pro sketchup but is not able to upload I can advise [getting an older version of] Sketchup Versions from 5 till 8. These versions can be used in combination with the pro version so you can still upload products to IMVU. And still use the exporter presented by Keef.

I was also working on a new Ruby Console exporter in september 2016, but I stalled its creation so far since I stopped devving at the end of december when confronted with the idiotic changes IMVU was pushing through, I might re-engage this. Since it could be handy for some of the later versions. I can't promiss this though I really stopped being dedicated to IMVU. This new forum brings hope though.

Catch the luck! Greetings by, White

(Note: The last version of the Ruby console was not made by Neo though...it is ApocalypseSurvivor's exporter, and Neo gained permission to be able to offer it to all Sketchup users.)

[MOD Edits to remove direct link to 3rd party download site. Here we can only recommend download from the manufacturer as well as upholding the Licensing Requirements of the manufacturer. While there are real benefits using older versions of programs any program it still needs to be licensed for commercial use. Keef]

MisterWhite
Posting Pixel

Post by MisterWhite » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm

[MOD Edits to remove direct link to 3rd party download site. Here we can only recommend download from the manufacturer as well as upholding the Licensing Requirements of the manufacturer. While there are real benefits using older versions of programs any program it still needs to be licensed for commercial use. Keef]
Well I contacted Trimble for this and they say following:

Sketchup 7 and 8 where Always free software if people still like to use them and work with them and even exchange them, they do not encourage it, but they are also not against it. They just stopped supporting those version on technical behalf, so stopped updating them.
In my words if people still like to work with them and exchange them, they are free to do so.

As long as they pay for their newer versions. The exporter Neo offers for this only works with version UPTO version 8.[/color] I also asked Trimble about this and again they say it is also one of the smaller minute reasons, they would never want to turn against it. Because IMVU is not a totally professional network it is also mainly a network where people get in contact with 3D and learn their first footsteps on creating. So their future customers are born there.

That does not mean, that I do not want to follow forum guidelines, and only those forum guidelines should be more than enough reason to do this through this forum. So I am totally on your side. If you do not wish it, than I will not do this either. I will be for sure keeping myself to your rules. But I als want to imply the fact is why I react to this part on this ground. And want to imply that these rules and that you call it piracy maybe, was not known to me, I excuse for that. If you like to see it that way, than I will restrict myself to your rules.

But the site I mentioned is what this is about, maybe has programs for download that undermine the law and therefor are piracy cirrcumstance. On this piece of software either, this law does not work. Sketchup will not attack them on the exchange of the older free version, so only the versions that where Always already for free. It is also that version I exchanged. Last but not least even if you buy the newer version or have a slightly newer version, you will need an older version to even use the Neo exporter? So you buy a new version pay for it - can be that you can export it with the latest version, I don't have that one - But I very well know and everyone using Sketchup. If you want to use it..for IMVU. You will need the Neo Exporter.

So weird maybe...but than we can close this whole subject/topic. Than we can't use Sketchup legally in your sence unless you got a new exporter? Please learn to share that newer exporter than, I would sure like to use one, I don't have one, and the one you are sharing, are only working with Setchup version which according to you are illegal to download. So no new Sketchup users than, but only the older creators still having a version of Sketchup 7 or 8 legally from the time it was still legal to download them?
I think that is a bit sad for new users wanting to use Sketchup. That is a personal opinion than I like to express here.

I wish everyone good luck with creating! Yet because of not being able to discuss the Sketchup topic legally fully, because I think your impression on it and that of Sketchup differ from eachother, I will not have a need really for this forum. But I do like to encourage people to keep using it. It is a personal reason I will withdraw from this forum. And that is simply because of this issue. Since I want to keep discussing it, and feel restricted to do this by not being able here to also talk to newer users and work with newer users needing older version to upload. I simply have no need for help or exchange of knowledge on the newer versions. It be in my eyes and my feeling hypocrit and poor judgement, so I withdraw.

Be well everyone keep using this lovely forum and have a wonderfull time creating.

By MisterWhite

Zara
Sage Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi

Post by Zara » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 am

MisterWhite wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm
Than we can't use Sketchup legally in your sence unless you got a new exporter? Please learn to share that newer exporter than, I would sure like to use one, I don't have one, and the one you are sharing, are only working with Setchup version which according to you are illegal to download.
There has been an exporter (and more) available for the newer versions of SketchUp for a few years now. You would need to be a regular reader of the (old) imvu 3D Forum or a member of the imvu SketchUp group however to know who created it.

He doesn't seem to be around as much these days, I know that like many other users, he isn't enjoying the direction imvu is taking now. Also, he is a great advocate for stopping asset theft and copyright infringement, therefore he always vets a creator's catalogue before providing his software. I can imagine this could lead to some disillusionment in distributing it.

With that said I will be speaking to him soon and I'll try to convey some definitive answers here on it's current availability.

Thank you.

Zara.

Zara
Sage Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi

Post by Zara » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 am

Zara wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 am
I will be speaking to him soon and I'll try to convey some definitive answers here on it's current availability.
Okay, the low down is that it is still available but due to real life being a thing he is unavailable for general support which I fully agree with. Real life always comes first and no one should expect any different.

The conditions are that it will only be supplied to creators who pass a catalogue inspection and hold a valid SU commercial use license. They must also be capable of learning how to use it on their own. With this in mind I will try to find some time to gain experience with using it and once I am fully conversant with the processes of weighting and animation etc, then I will be able to offer help and support.

:)

LuvableVenus
Posting Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/LuvableVenus

Post by LuvableVenus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 am

Ok I have done extensive research in SketchUps Community. I know for the version I use (SU 8), that I do not need a commercial license for me to be able to use it for commercial purposes. I have provided links below which have comments made by John Bacus Product Manger SketchUP, a comment from someone who had interned at SU and also a reply made by SketchUpCommunityManager SketchUp Team Member.

John Bacus Product Manager SketchUp comment: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/free-draw ... ram/4801/6

Brandon Rodriguez: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup- ... use/1032/6

SketchUpCommunityManager SketchUp Team Member: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/google-sk ... use/5544/3

I am only putting this out there, as I know that there are probably more wanting answers though don't know how to get the answers. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly either here via pm or on IMVU.