Tutorials from the IMVU forums?

Give us your feedback on how we are doing and how you would like to see us grow.
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Tutorials from the IMVU forums?

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:28 pm

I didn't really know where to put this, but my question is that with the old IMVU forums potentially getting deleted with all of the threads there, should we copy some of the tutorials from there and post them here? It seems wrong to just take tutorials from other users and post them here under my name, but we could give credit to whoever originally created the tutorial. We could also contact the original authors and ask if they would mind posting here, this would also help with inviting more members.

I'm willing to help with getting some of the tutorials here if Keef would be interested in doing this, I'll definitely be posting mine at least. It just seems like such a shame letting everything just be lost like that.

List of tutorial creators found so far:
Dalamar1013
MRxGQxFUTURISTIKxKG
Hac (messages friends only)
Severity
KokeshiDoll
Wantons
Rotten (disabled)
Kat
Curvaceous
Texts (disabled)
onlylalla
Orbical
pridelegend (messages completely disabled)
DblLove
AbortiveLove
Zeur
Aisch (disabled)
iillEviellii
MagickalMorgana
Jasmyn
Scarling
isabelpaisita
Parcel
Syncubus
DimitriX89
vienaxia
Ensiferum
Deliverance
LaNinaQc
Battle
Katelyn
Bangz (messages friends only)
Karliah (disabled)
Yannomi
Miha
Weavile
Jaleman31
oOKabbyOo
VanillaVanilleV
Kayli
n3o0phelia
Reddivar
Photograph
SPY (disabled)
YMCMB (disabled)
Zuuths
Aesica
Wired (disabled)
DALBI19
KewlChique
Noob
Water
Sikk
SelinaHart
Milica09
Pharmacist
Pixiiy
Qwark
Spacecamp (inactive for a very long time)
Glitzyy (inactive for a very long time)
Nubian
Cindyy
Naima
TrizariaDaggerHunter
ally4angel (inactive for a very long time)
TwistedStella
Weesha
Krystlex
Joke
Kada
iRot
Petroleum
Crypt0rchidism
Twila
IIDeadlySinsII
Seme
derelinquere
Scythe
OccultBaby
MrsSaintMac8
Glossy
Aurielle (messages friends only)
XxRaveDollzxX
Zerreissen
SkinsPro
Fockah (messages friends only)
Richina (messages friends only)
Juliansito
ChillShock (messages disabled)
Tsui
N3rdyGirl

Key:
User has been contacted
User has replied or joined
I am unable to contact the user
Last edited by ChocolateCookie on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Re: Tutorials from the IMVU forums?

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 pm

I know Keef needs help in this area!

Maybe a little divide and conquer?

In the meantime - people like Zara - are bring their own tutorials over which is AWESOME!

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Divide and conquer seems like a good plan to me since there are so many tutorials out there and I'm certainly willing to help if he is interested. But we should also make a plan on how to go about it.

My idea is to maybe first try to contact the original creators of the tutorials to see if they would like to bring them here themselves, in which case we should make a list somewhere about who has been contacted to avoid spam, and if there is no reply or the user has been disabled, then copy the tutorials here ourselves and give credit to the original creator of the tutorial.

Interested to hear what Keef and everyone else thinks!

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I love that idea!

Do you have time to begin to contact? and link them to us here?
and (batts eyelashes) keep a posted list of who you have contacted as you go?

Daise2
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=91359500

Post by Daise2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm

I love that idea Cookie! :) I'm trying to think of which forum mod had a thread with a list of all the tutorials....Candyapple maybe? That was the one I used to run through to find help back in the day

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I think I can definitely find some time for this, I just think I need Keefs approval first. Also, it is super late tonight so I think I'll get started tomorrow if this gets a go.

The texture Tutorial Directory by CandyApple is here. There was another sticky thread by DA5 that I can no longer find that was more general. But I personally think it would be easiest for me to start from the beginning of the thread list and just go down the Rabbit hole that is the IMVU forums. That way, I get to the new tutorials first that was created by users that are more likely to still be active and that are more likely to be relevant. And that way I won't miss any because there was so many tutorials made that did not get on the big lists. Since users can no longer post in the forums, it will also be easy to keep track of where I left off as the thread order will not change.

Oh boy, I'm going to learn so much about creating on here from reading all those tutorials haha. But I'm happy to do the work if it means being able to help the creator community and not let so much hard work by others go to waste.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 pm

I am a moderator - and you have my approval.

Let me know if you need any help.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Daise2 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm
I love that idea Cookie! :) I'm trying to think of which forum mod had a thread with a list of all the tutorials....Candyapple maybe? That was the one I used to run through to find help back in the day
I can ask DA5 for help if needed. I think she has her hands full - but she is a good friend.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Great, I'll get on it tomorrow. I think I'll start with the texture developing forum actually, because that is where the bulk of the tutorials are, and therefor will probably get to the most people the fastest. I'll make a list of tutorials and users contacted in a post somewhere.

I'll post the tutorials that the original creator is disabled of myself then I guess, and I'll do my best to quality check them for relevancy and "quality" as in I don't think that it would be wise to make a thread for tutorials that are just a YouTube links. I think that a YouTube tutorial Directory would be a good idea for those or maybe just leave them out, not sure. The tutorials with an author that did not reply should get posted by the end of March as well, as that is when the old forums might be deleted.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm
Daise2 wrote:
I can ask DA5 for help if needed. I think she has her hands full - but she is a good friend.
Yeah, I think that the IMVU mods are currently busy trying to tame the beast that the new IMVU Discussions is. I wonder how long it takes for some of them to quit. So I totally get if she is busy and don't want her to overwork herself.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 pm
Great, I'll get on it tomorrow. I think I'll start with the texture developing forum actually, because that is where the bulk of the tutorials are, and therefor will probably get to the most people the fastest. I'll make a list of tutorials and users contacted in a post somewhere.

I'll post the tutorials that the original creator is disabled of myself then I guess, and I'll do my best to quality check them for relevancy and "quality" as in I don't think that it would be wise to make a thread for tutorials that are just a YouTube links. I think that a YouTube tutorial Directory would be a good idea for those or maybe just leave them out, not sure. The tutorials with an author that did not reply should get posted by the end of March as well, as that is when the old forums might be deleted.

you are amazing!
thanks!

Daise2
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=91359500

Post by Daise2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:01 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:26 pm
Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 pm
Daise2 wrote:
Yeah, I think that the IMVU mods are currently busy trying to tame the beast that the new IMVU Discussions is. I wonder how long it takes for some of them to quit. So I totally get if she is busy and don't want her to overwork herself.

Damn, I just noticed the Reply with Quotes lol

Time for bed, I think I've had too much fun and excitement today lol

WickedAngel
Prolific Pixel

Post by WickedAngel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 pm

I do have a list of links and tutorials that we used in the Help rooms for users...they include things like tutorials on icons and so forth...

admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Post by admin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:51 pm

Cool Beans!

If you can't get a hold of them I think I would rather we come up with a list of what gaps they would have been filling and come up with a new tut or guide to fill the void rather than copy someone else's work over without them approving it. Other that that go for it, Most peeps say yes when asked, happy to be recognized and appreciated for their efforts.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

Mairo
Mega Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_index.php

Post by Mairo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:39 am

So when I heard that the forums was going to be dead I decided to save some of my favorite skin tutorials (luckily I went through the forum a while ago and picked out still working tutorials). I just pressed quote and copied everything that showed up. I was waiting a little before asking the creators about posting the tutorials in my group but now this forum was made~

I saved these:
Scarling
isabelpaisita
Dalamar1013 and this.
Parcel

Also saved some post from creators who where helping someone, but it was not a tutorial thread. (Sorry it is all about skin making, but I mostly make skins x:)

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 am

admin wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:51 pm
Cool Beans!

If you can get a hold of them I think I would rather we come up with a list of what gaps they would have been filling and come up with a new tut or guide to fill the void rather than copy someone else's work over without them approving it. Other that that go for it, Most peeps say yes when asked, happy to be recognized and appreciated for their efforts.
Alright, I won't post anyone's tutorials then which seems right to me as well. I'll just make a list of tutorials by disabled users and later those that I have been unable to contact and we can see from there. I think that there is no harm in making a large youtube tutorial directory though even if some of those users are not contactable as those tutorials will be on YouTube anyways.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 am

We have about 30 days before they take down the forums - and we won't know how helpful the "wayback machine" will be. :cry:

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 am

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 am
We have about 30 days before they take down the forums - and we won't know how helpful the "wayback machine" will be. :cry:
Don't worry, I'm sure we get everything in order and figure something out in that time!

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 am

Cookies are my favorite snack btw.

You are awesome!

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 pm

I took a quick look at the 3D developing forum, and I really think that someone else should go through that forum instead of me. There are just some tutorials there that are really old but have been bumped up more recently and I just do not have enough knowledge about meshing to assess whether those tutorials are still relevant or not. I also started a YouTube tutorial directory for 3D developing, as I found some recent tutorials right off the bat, but I think someone else should actually make that as well then, just add the ones I put there to their thread and delete mine.

And what's your favorite kind of cookie, Notorious? If I'm quite honest, then I like baking cookies and other treats more than I like eating them haha.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:57 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 pm

And what's your favorite kind of cookie, Notorious? If I'm quite honest, then I like baking cookies and other treats more than I like eating them haha.
Oatmeal :) and most others !!!

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 am

I have a question, how far back do you guys think I should go? When do you think that a tutorial is no longer relevant? I feel like 2010 is still fine but I feel like 2006 tutorials are just going to be too basic and most of the users will be long gone anyways.

Tony Titan
Posting Pixel

Post by Tony Titan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Didn't MinhyrdinWindrose a few years back post in the Creator forums a topic on where a bunch of user Tutorials were located? I know I'm speaking a few years back, but it might be a place to start........If I haven't lost my marbles and am just imagining the whole thing. :oops:

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the hint! I'm currently making my way through the list that CandyApple made, lots of good stuff there. I'll see if I can find it later.

admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Post by admin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:36 am

As I was a regular there I can take care of 3D, but it will be next week before I can really dive into it. Would be great to get the 3D helper gurus here, there aren't many of us.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!