Contest Prizes Feedback!

How important are credit prizes to you in a Contest?

$$$ I like the lure of a Large Credit Prize or I'm not interested
5%
$$ Modest Credit Prizes are enough, the credits help me to submit more products.
26%
$ I would like to have my fees spent to participate refunded.
21%
No credits needed, I'm just in it for exposure/challenge/fun.
47%

Total votes: 19

admin
Head Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keef

Contest Prizes Feedback!

Post by admin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Please take a moment to take this poll so we have an idea of where you all want us to head.

How important are credit prizes to you in a Contest?

If you have ideas for prizes other that credits please share!
No matter where you go, there you are...

Pick up your free PPC Member Badge on Keef's IMVU Homepage Wear and Share to spread the word!

MandaMarie
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/MandaMarie

Re: Contest Prizes Feedback!

Post by MandaMarie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I think the whole reason for these is the fun and exposure. I personally find the credits only ever a bonus, but the fun in taking part is what I would join in for. To get more people to join in, though, it will almost always require credits, just, it isn't my cup of tea. ;p
...Visit my catalog...............Visit my Deviantart..............Visit Homepage....

Oh ooo-bee-doo, I wanna be like you.
I want to walk like you, talk like you, do.
You'd see it's true, an ape like me,
can learn to be, human, too.

;)

GuySBot
Prolific Pixel

Post by GuySBot » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

As for exposure I feel that it is only a very small percentage of IMVU users who even know the forum exists .
Perhaps they don't have time or do not really care to interact in such a way .
Also of that small percent that are forum readers only a smaller percent of that fraction are forum posters.
In saying so I'm not sure exposure is as much a big dealio for your average creator as opposed to the big girls . .

Credits are always nice especially when you're poor which is perhaps the majority of IMV/Users .
Usually is the case imho they aren't spread out to reward many instead of only a few .
Reflecting upon that moreso often than not is just like IMVU official site contests along with other rewards as well ,
where for the most part only those at the top benefit and the rest are left wanting .

On that note I loved Hedgehogs giveaway contest simply add something of hers to your wishlist and she gifted it to ya ,
then if you left a review she'd give you her badge . It was nice to have everyone win and a good promotion for her I'd guess .
I know I added a few things to my wishlist from her catalog . Plus it got me going back to review not only her products but
some others as being away from IMVU for awhile I had just forgot about that part of it .

Anyways I think the creative contests are the most fun where it doesn't take credits to join in ,
a lot of the IMVU official site contests I wanted to join in and even actually created the required item but didn't have
credits to submit it so it sits on the dusty shelf . On that note I had a lot of fun in chicka's photo bomb contest where
it was a bit of a reflection to the happenings in imvu editing others feed photos . Which required no credits to join in .

So as a comparison Notorious's contest had a pretty huge credit prize/s but required a bit of work . . 14 pages of replies .
Hedgehogs you only got a simple gift with a chance to get a badge for a review - 10 pages of replies * but hedge was
commenting back to everyone who entered all though some in groups so not to say that half the replies in the topic
were hers but a good amount . Whereas Chicka replied quite a few times too just not as many .

In essence I think there reflects that it's more about the ease to join in and credits really don't matter ,
because again being the forum users are small in number and those of them are probably the developer or creative type
that are willing to do some work just for interactive fun/expose' .
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Post by Notorious Chicka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 am

It depends on who is hosting the contest, and what the actual contest is for me to elaborate on interest and prizes.

IMVU has hosted some pretty embarrassing contests with really inappropriate credit rewards for what type of work is involved.

When I host a contest - it depends on if it is a full on Creator contest or a User contest where they have little to no work to compete other than being creative or funny.

I personally would not start with less than a 100k first prize. I typically raise this amount based on participation and I typically end up rewarding more than the initial 1 - 2 - 3 places.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 am

I'm honestly in the favor of smaller prizes instead of like 100k. Really big prizes might make a few extra people join, but at the same time, might scare some people away as well, especially newer developers, and I think that contests should be fun more than anything. Depends on the contest of course, for meshers I can justify having large prices due to the amount of work that goes into it but meshing contests are generally more rare than texturing contests. But personally, I'm much more likely to participate in a contest with smaller prices, I just feel like more people are there to have fun instead of it being really really competitive.

I completely agree with GuySBot on the matter. There are things more important than the prizes when it comes to contests and I think that the prizes should be moderate. Enough to make it worth it but not too big. Divide that 100k into five, and more people are going to feel like they actually have a chance of getting something.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 am

Cookie - I gave away 450k on a photo stream contest. It wasn't difficult or competitive.
Maybe I am giving away too much to attract entries?

250k first prize.
50k second
25k third
10k honorable mention x many users....

btw - I just launched a test contest in the Discussion Board.
I think it will fail miserably.

ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod

Post by ChocolateCookie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:08 am
Cookie - I gave away 450k on a photo stream contest. It wasn't difficult or competitive.
Maybe I am giving away too much to attract entries?

250k first prize.
50k second
25k third
10k honorable mention x many users....

btw - I just launched a test contest in the Discussion Board.
I think it will fail miserably.
Personally, I do think that 250k as a first price is too much for a photo stream contest but that's just my opinion and it also depends a lot on why you are running the contest, if you're really looking for some serious effort and lots of professional work and not doing it for the fun then I think it is justified. I don't think that you need to give away that much to attract people except for pros that wouldn't bother for smaller prizes and are only there to win credits.

I do try to stay away from contests with prizes like that myself. Even if the contest isn't really difficult, if the main prize is 250k then I'm going to assume that this is a competition where the best of the best photo streamers are seriously going to fight for it, and I know I'm definitely not one of them so what's even the point of trying. It is similar to how I wouldn't try to compete against Anry in an outfit making challenge, I know that she's out of my leage. I'd only participate if it was something really fun without any expectations to get anything else out of it.

GuySBot
Prolific Pixel

Post by GuySBot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 pm

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm
Personally, I do think that 250k as a first price is too much for a photo stream contest but that's just my opinion and it also depends a lot on why you are running the contest, if you're really looking for some serious effort and lots of professional work and not doing it for the fun then I think it is justified. I don't think that you need to give away that much to attract people except for pros that wouldn't bother for smaller prizes and are only there to win credits.

I do try to stay away from contests with prizes like that myself. Even if the contest isn't really difficult, if the main prize is 250k then I'm going to assume that this is a competition where the best of the best photo streamers are seriously going to fight for it, and I know I'm definitely not one of them so what's even the point of trying. It is similar to how I wouldn't try to compete against Anry in an outfit making challenge, I know that she's out of my leage. I'd only participate if it was something really fun without any expectations to get anything else out of it.
Hers was a photo bomb contest where you'd find someones streamed pic then cut and paste yourself into it .
If you goto the old forums contest pages its up there near the top and it was a lot of fun .

On the note of splitting prizes first let me say I'm a huge fan of Notorious so I didn't want anything for entering which I did multiple times .
I dunno something I always feel bad even when my friends gift me and I can't gift them back , just to say I don't like to be given things and
usually when I did get gifted I'd gift my giftee back twice for every one . Anyways to say if Notorious had split it up to like 50K grand prize then
10K each it may have been everyone would have won something . . And that isn't I hope to make her feel bad in anyway it was the coolest and funniest contest I'd ever seen and why I entered I believe more than any other . Now I'm sure the person/s who won that word of mouth to say OMG this chicka is so sweet she awarded me X amount of credits in this funny contest - check out the contest - feedbag - scope out her page , catalog and so on . . Yet it would have been 30 or so word of mouths doing the same thing with each winning 10k . or 100 - 200 winners at 1000 each with a grand prize of 20-50,000 . That word of mouth would not only be good for her sales or Notorious notoriety but moreso draw attention to the forum and most importanly her contest within .

Having said that I found it quite funny that a normal dev well even though she maybe somewhat Abbey Normal was giving away 250K + ,
yet the IMVU hosted contest at the same time was like for a grand or some lame gift . Not that a grand or 10k is lame really any gift is fine
but its funny to me how cheap IMVU is in these contests when credits cost them virtually nothing . So a hats off to Chicka Notorious Flicka there
for that check mate move and showing 'em up . Not that it was her intention to do so as far as I know .

Interesting topic thanks to OP .
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Post by SqkyC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Usually I don't enter contests (various reasons but mostly just busy with other things) I may start to - or think I might but before I know it... it's... over. lol Ah well. Laundry calls...

I'd think that for more smaller and new devs who are in to such things to be attracted to enter a contest it's good to pay their submission cost. It's close to 1000cr for newer devs to submit an item and the pending wait can be long when you are first starting out. At least that way someone does not feel like they are out more credits if the don't win.

I can see both the points of offering large prizes and smaller ones. I tend to lean toward many smaller prizes as seeing that HUGE prize amount *can* feel a little intimidating. But then the nature of contests is competition... so I dunno. I suppose with enough different contests there would be something for everyone.

Anyway, dunno how enlightening my ramble is but there you go. lol

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Never feel intimidated by my contests!

My photo bomb contest was for everyone to have fun and quite honestly to help transition people from the GOOD view of PhotoStream to the now disgusting NEXT version. I always try to merge some education into it.

It started out with a 100k first prize. I changed it midstream because IMVU sponsored me. NOT with credits mind you - but with a link to the contest. I decided to take advantage of the marketing opportunity.

My next few contests will probably make people's heads spin.

Right now - my test in the "Disgustion" area is failing. As I knew it world. One entry so far. LOL

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 pm

p.s. Bot...you caught on to my intention COMPLETELY!

SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Post by SqkyC » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Notorious I LOVED looking at your photobomb contest! :) Very fun idea and I love to see all the entries. I didn't enter cos I'm just not a contest kind of person really. I wish that imvu had made the feed lot a little friendlier to look at but... eh. It's what we've got now. If they haven't done anything new to it it means it will be that way from now on. It's the imvu way.

I don't know how anyone can FIND a topic in that new... thing they've made. I get the impression that most people are just using the 'create a topic' on the first page and posting anywhere just to be posting. It's that all important ranking ya know.

I'm feeling tired and haven't even been logging in lately. When I do I avoid the ... thing ... unless it's to complain. ;)

How long does your contest run? Is it possible to link to a specific thread there or is it still hit and miss? I'm guessing you have tried. ;)

I got mail in my inbox the other day from imvu linking to what looked like it was supposed to be a specific thread, but when clicked it went straight to the main page. Go figure.

How can anyone use what they have made for a constructive purpose when it doesn't work?

Twiddybird
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Twiddybird

Post by Twiddybird » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:42 pm

I always seem to miss the memo when it comes to contests, I would enter any be if just for giggles or credits though I would prefer the "Just for fun" side a lot more, it's less pressure and stress knowing everyone is in it to just have a good time as opposed to banking some big bucks, Like others I can not compete with the likes of Anry and Whims to name but a few, they have outstanding catalogues and I can only wish I was nearly half as good as them but when it's for laughs it makes me think.."heh, what the hell, lets do this" and off i'll go in my merry little world of being somewhat artistic.

Extinction
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Extinction

Post by Extinction » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:46 pm

I didn't vote because I float between all the options.

Most of the time, I enjoy contests with a bit of reward (credits, art, etc) and a whole lot of fun!
When things get a lot larger in prizes, that's when I notice people decide to join in and ruin the fun.
EXTINCTION @ IMVU
~ Making Anthro Designs & Creations since 2007 ~

Product Requests: OPEN
I have difficulties with communicating my ideas and thoughts properly.
Please be patient with me.

Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel

Post by Notorious Chicka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:05 pm

My contest in Disgustion ended.

One person TRIED to enter.

I gave her the prize for trying.

Extinction
Prolific Pixel
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Extinction

Post by Extinction » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:05 pm

-Waves- Hai. :D
EXTINCTION @ IMVU
~ Making Anthro Designs & Creations since 2007 ~

Product Requests: OPEN
I have difficulties with communicating my ideas and thoughts properly.
Please be patient with me.

HugsAndKisses
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/HugsAndKisses

Post by HugsAndKisses » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 am

Notorious Chicka wrote:

That's because very few even use Discussions

LauraLight
Pixel Princess
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage. ... r=26870451

Post by LauraLight » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:34 pm

HugsAndKisses wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 am
Notorious Chicka wrote:

That's because very few even use Discussions
Even people that do try to use discussions have problems finding stuff because things get buried there way too easily.
I try to use it to see how Imvu is doing and it is frustrating. All the good stuff is buried by waves of posts about the same things.

*edit to add*

I'd join a contest even with no prize for the fun of it, but I would not shy away from credit prizes either. Keeps me able to submit things to my catalog. :D
No light in the darkness is too small to see...
Don't hate or discriminate,
Never give up on equality,
Only you can decide your fate. ♥